Part 33 - 15th October 1969

Start from the beginning

"Twins! That's fantastic!" David congratulated them, "My wife and I have twin boys. They're three years old now." He rummaged in his wallet and pulled out some photos. Paul and Lucy looked at them with great interest.

"What was it like when they were newborns?" asked Lucy.

"Madness!" David laughed, "They need feeding every two hours but would take over and hour top feed. By the time we'd finished one feed it was almost time to start again!"

"Really?" Paul looked alarmed.

"But you get through it Paul," said David, "I didn't work until they were three months old. It was only then my wife could manage the two of them on their own. They got bigger and didn't need to feed as often. Despite that though, two babies are amazing. They slept hugging each other, even if we lay them down separately, they still end up hugging each other!"

"WOW!" exclaimed Paul, "That's amazing!" He turned to Lucy, "You don't seem surprised by such information love?"

Lucy smiled. "I've worked with twins a lot as a nurse Paul. I've seen lots of things that are unique to them. The chances are that our two will have their own little quirks."

Paul hugged her. "I can't wait! I wish they'd hurry up and arrive!"

"They'll be here soon enough!" laughed Lucy, "So David, what can you tell me about this interview?"
"Actually I'm here for you to tell me what you want from it." he explained, "Paul has mentioned that you're going to be breaking two huge pieces of news. Your marriage and then pregnancy."

Lucy nodded.

"So apart from that, what do you want to achieve by doing the interview?"

"Oh that's easy," said Lucy firmly, "I want the press to leave us alone to get on with our lives. But more importantly, I also want the fans to accept that Paul and I are now married. That I'm not their enemy number one and that I can leave the house without fear of being attacked or chased!"

"Has that happened to you?"

Lucy nodded. "I've been attacked once but fans also blame me for Paul quitting the band. It means that if they're not physically nasty to me, then they call me names, spit on me things like that."

"That's appalling!" said David.

Paul nodded. "I know. It's part of the reason why we left and headed up to Scotland. We were both sick of all the crap we were getting! But obviously now Lucy's pregnant her welfare is crucial."

"Plus, once the babies are born, I want to be able to take them for a walk and do normal things that all mums do." Lucy sighed, "It seems that being married to Paul means my life can't be normal anymore and I hate that!"

The discussions continued until David left, armed with some themes for questions with promises to let the couple see them prior to the interview. The interview date was set for a week later.

20th October 1969.

Lucy woke first, already feeling nervous. She got up, showered and then stood by the wardrobe wrapped in a towel, trying to decide what to wear. She settled on a pair of trousers and a loosely fitting jumper. She looked smart but not overdressed for being in her own home. She towel dried her hair into soft curls then left it to dry naturally.

"You look lovely!"

Lucy jumped. Paul was now sat up in bed watching her. "Morning! I was just going to wake you!"

Paul smiled. "I've been awake for the last ten minutes, watching you."

Lucy got up and went and sat on the bed beside Paul. She kissed him softly. "So do you think I look OK for the interview?"