Only I Do

Chapter Thirty Four - Only I Do

"You're old," I finally blurted out.

Her dark brown eyes narrowed, showing the subtly visible wrinkles around them.

Long red locks fell over her shoulders as she glared at me. She could be in her late forties.

"You....want my husband?" I spoke in confusion, then frowned.

All along we were searching among Alec's classmates when we really should've been looking among his teachers.

"You cougar," I spat.

The frown vanished from her face and she let out a laugh.

"You think I want your husband?"

I blinked in confusion.

What the hell does she want?

"That's what you said in those warning notes," I spoke.

She seemed confused for a moment, then her eyes blazed in anger.

"If you think that acting oblivious will get you out of here, then you've got another think coming, Scarlet Sinclair," She snapped.

I gulped as she advanced towards me and caught my throat in her hands, trying to choke me.

My eyes grew wide as I struggled to breathe. Her eyes looked murderous and I knew that this was it. I was really going to die this time.

I started passing out because of lack of oxygen but then, she let go of my throat.

I gasped in as much air as I could, coughed and struggled to keep my eyes open.

"You said-" I spoke in between breaths. "-to let go of him. What else did you mean?"

I looked up to find her with a pensive look again as she blinked and focused her gaze on me.

Then, she went back to the darker corner of the room, opened a zipper and came back with a photograph in her hands.

I eyed the picture and watched as she looked down at it with tears in her eyes.

"Let go of him," She spoke in a whisper.

"Who?"

Her dangerous gaze locked with mine and she threw the picture on my lap.

I looked down at it. It was a picture of a teenage boy with red hair. Something about him seemed familiar. Where had I seen him?

My eyes grew wide as I remembered the day I was in that cafe when the robber almost shot me.

The robber!

It was him.

I lifted my gaze up to meet hers.

"I just want my boy back," She spoke venomously trying to hold her tears back and wiping the previous ones from her face.

I didn't know what to say.

"You're his....mother," I finally spoke.

"Yes," She snapped. "And I want you to let go of him."

I gulped as I looked down at the picture once again, trying to contemplate the situation.

She wanted us to let go of her son?

She wasn't after Alec.

"But he's....already in juvie," I spoke, remembering Alec telling his lawyer to get the boy sentenced and juvie wasn't the option. He was a minor, right?