Laughing Pumpkins

Chapter Four - Laughing Pumpkins

Dad glared at me the moment I turned to him.

"Is this why my company is closing this deal with Sinclair? Because you are dating him?"

"What? No," My eyes grew wide. Well, technically yes.

"Not at all dad. You've always taught me to never mix personal life and work. Honestly, I've never discussed about this project with him because it's simply none of my business,"

He crossed his arms over his chest with a skeptical look but I knew he was believing what I was telling him.

"You got this deal because your project is worth it. And not because you are dealing with your daughter's boyfriend," I spoke softly.

Clearing his throat, he nodded. "Okay,"

"So. You're moving out," He spoke again.

I nodded. "I asked if it was okay with you,"

"It is," He gave me a nod. "But do you have to move out today itself? I mean an hour ago I didn't even know you were engaged and now you're moving in with someone. Aren't you rushing into this Scar?"

It's way more than rushing actually.

I shook my head. "I've known him for a long time dad,"

"Okay," He gave me a tight smile. "But I just want you know that if he doesn't keep you safe like I do, or hurts you in anyway, I won't give a damn about the deal before breaking his jaw,"

A smile formed on my lips and I burst out laughing, stepping forward and pulling him into a hug.

"I'm serious Scarlet," He let out a laugh.

"I know dad," I mumbled and pulled back.

"Now I gotta go and pack. He'll be here to pick me up in the evening,"

He nodded and patted my head before walking back to his room.

I went upstairs and pulling the suitcases out, I started packing the necessary stuff first. I decided to come back some time later for the rest of my stuff since it was impossible to pack my entire room in a few hours.

I looked at the watch when I was done. 7 p.m.

Great! Took me hours.

But Alec should have been here. I picked up my phone, debating in my head if I should give him a call or maybe a text.

I decided to stick to a text.

Are you coming to pick me up?

I hit send and waited for his reply. My phone buzzed after five minutes.

I didn't remember I had to pick you up and scheduled a meeting. I'll text you the address or maybe send someone to chauffeur you?

Some nerve in my body ticked at his reply. He forgot? Is he even a human?

I looked around the room and a weird pain erupted in my chest. Am I really leaving my entire world behind to move in with a man who does not even care?

Why am I doing this?

For dad! A voice spoke inside my head and I took in a deep breath, before texting him back.

The address would be fine.

I locked my phone and threw it on the bed, not wanting to be waiting for his reply and went downstairs with my suitcase. Thankfully, Jimmy was at a friend's house and wasn't going to be home unless I would be gone.