Chapter Thirty

Andrew's Point of View

I sit behind her door, silently begging her to forgive me. I knew what I have done is never forgivable and I know no matter what, I could never build what we had which was nothing but a crumble, based on my silence over the truth.

"I love you. I'm sorry," I put my hand on the door as if her presence could be felt through the wood.

I decide to lean against the wall just across the door and watch it like a hawk. She'll come out eventually. She has to. I need her to.

I've already lost a loved one and hurt the love of my life, I can't lose her too. Please, Laura, forgive me.

I hear the sound of running water. She must be taking a shower. I want to be there with her. I want to hold her. I want to heal her. And seeing as I am the one who has caused those wounds, I am powerless in trying to heal them.

I was expecting her to hit me, to thrash around and call me names. Yet, I find this silence killing me more. I can't hear her cry, but I know she's there crying her heart out. I saw her eyes watering with tears, which then run down on her cheek in silence. All of that because of me.

All of a sudden, I remember the note. The thread note. Scrambling to my feet, shaking like a leaf, which is unusual, I make my way downstairs, hastily, not seeing how many steps I'm taking at once.

Seeing the note on the coffee table where Laura has left it, I peer over it, avoid touching it. Instantly, I recognize who it is. Out of all these years, how could he f*cking get out of prison?

Thomas McHugh. Mostly known as Tommy by the gang. He used to be a right hand to Pete. He used to manage everything. He also became the reason I got out of that hell hole. As I was living in my oblivious life, he was finding a way to my sister. He had managed to get close to her. And her not understanding the differences between someone who cares for her and who wants to deceive her, she became a victim of his game. By the time I found out, it was too late.

I could only blame myself for many reasons. One of the biggest, to begin with, is my stupidity in allowing her to come with me. She needed a family, not me. I should have made her stay with them. I should have returned her back to my mother. I should have kept an eye on her. I should have been for her. I should have told her. I should have protected her. But I did none of these things.

But I did one thing and it was to make sure he pays for his sins. I made the best case against him. I made sure he would spend the rest of his life behind the bars, not wandering around the city, threatening Laura's and my life.

It's unclear how he managed to get out, but at least I know whom we are dealing with. What is most important is to make sure I protect Laura and capture him.

Dealing with this situation added Laura's conditions brings bitter memories. Dark memories that I have buried deep in my vein. I need some alcohol. I can't deal with this now.

Walking toward the extensive collection of beverage I usually keep just in the corner of the living room, I grab a heavy whiskey and bottle it up straight from the bottle. The bitter taste starts hurting my throat.

"Ahh," I howl in agony, grabbing the sides of the cabinet. I have to be strong. I have to get through this. I need Laura.

Allowing myself some time to adjust, I finally walk back to deal with it. I instantly get my best security team on it. I also manage to make collaboration with the police. One of the chiefs is my friend, who is going to help me. The plan is to get him as soon as possible.

I get Scott to come to my office. I start going crazy. I can't have this man lurking around the city. He's dangerous and not just to us but to everyone.