02. dangerous games

Start from the beginning

I almost laughed in her face. Sofia gave me a very questioning look when she saw that I was trying to contain my laughter. I awkwardly coughed to cover up my laugh. "I mean, don't worry about it. There's someone out there waiting for you."

I felt arms wrap around my shoulders. I spun around and saw Jace's smiling face. His eyes landed on Sofia but averted back to mine instantly. "Hey babe, you know Leo was just joking."

Of course I knew Leo was just joking, the problem is I wasn't in the mood for joking. But I smiled anyway, "Of course J."

I looked at Sofia but she was too busy groping Jace with her eyes and flipping her hair over her shoulders at the same time. "Scar aren't you going to introduce me?"

I almost rolled my eyes at her. Almost. "Sure," I sighed and looked at Jace, "Jace this is Sofia." I looked at Sofia, "Sofia this is-"

She cut me off so I gave her a questionable look, but she shrugged her shoulders in return. "I know who Jace Walker is."

Jace seemed very oblivious that Sofia obviously had a crush on him. He just smiled at her and she looked like she was about to faint. "Hey Sofia," Jace looked at me and dismissed her. Sofia's big smile disappeared. "Come back inside, I'll meet you in there."

"Sure Jace, I'll be right there."

He nodded and said, "Nice to meet you Sofia."

That smile spread across her face once again. "You too Jace!"

"Well," I shrugged, "I'll see you later Sofia." She nodded at me and I turned around.

"Hey, Scarlett?"

"Yes?"

"We should hang out more," Sofia said her eyes following Jace's every move, not even looking at me.

"Yeah for sure." I nodded with a smile.

She's playing a very dangerous game.

I slowly walked back into the cafeteria and sat down beside Jace. "You can't see it?" I looked at Jace waiting for his answer.

He shrugged, "What are you talking about babe?"

I let out a loud sigh and my eyes shifted toward Zoey, her green eyes locked with mine. "Zoey, you know Sofia Emerson?"

She rolled her eyes and took a bite from her pizza. "Yes, I know her. Brownish red hair, super weird obsession with Jace?"

Jace just shrugged again, like he had no interest in this topic. "Okay and?"

"Dude," Leo laughed, "I think you're missing the point.

"I guess he's just used to girls falling over for him," Bella stated and I looked at her. Sometimes Bella could be well. . . there's not really a nice way to put it but annoying.

Cassie gave Bella a look too. "That is not true." She laughed now, "Sofia Emerson is different. I had math class with her, all she would talk about is Jace with her friends."

"I thought I was the only one who noticed!" Megan looked relieved.

"Okay listen," Jace's voice was very calming, "You have nothing to worry about Scarlett." Jace smiled at me and took my hand. "I didn't even know who she was before today."

I trusted Jace no matter what. My problem was only with Sofia, I knew she had a plan, but I didn't know exactly what it was. Suddenly Blake got up from his seat abruptly and pulled Megan up with him. "Megan and I are going for a walk before class starts, we'll see you guys after."

Everyone said their goodbyes but I seemed to be the only one who found it was strange. Did something happen?

---

"It's going to be awesome Scar!" Cassie squealed, "I'm so happy you could come- wait you can come right?"

I put my left arm around Cassie's shoulder and squeezed it. "Of course I'm coming to your birthday party Cass." Swiftly the bell rang and I sighed. Time to go back into hell which was class. "See you later Cassie."

She gave me a warm hug, "See you Scar." She smiled before walking away.

I smiled to myself as I started to walk down the hall. But my phone rang and I sighed, a lot of people have been calling me lately and it wasn't even a good thing. I pulled out my phone from the back of my pocket and saw JJ's name flashing over my screen. I took a deep breath and prepared myself. "What's up JJ? The class just started."

He laughed over the phone, "Okay no worries I'll make it quick. Mom and dad are going out tonight so it'll just be you and me."

How awesome!

"Okay see you soon." I hung up the phone before he could answer and sprinted down the hall. At this point, everyone was already in class. As I walked toward the end of the hall I heard hushed voices.

I didn't want to walk past them and interrupt their conversation, so I stopped and listened. "Tell me right now!" This sounded like a girl. "Do you still have feelings for her?"

"Calm down baby okay?"

"Don't you dare tell me to calm down." The girl said and she sounded very angry. "Do you still like Scarlett Everwood?"

I looked around frantically not really knowing what to do. My face turned a deep shade of red and my palms began to sweat. Scarlett Everwood was me and I damn well knew it.

"Blake answer my question!"

Blake?

It couldn't be Blake and Megan, could it?