Chapter 25

Elizabeth swings back a massive gulp of red wine from the bottle, some leaking down her chin. She slams down the bottle on her make-up table in her brightly lit dressing room. This time the room is different from the newly furnished ones she usually gets at every venue

There is a damp pungent smell but it is masked by the strong bitter smell of alcohol. The furniture is old and creaky but that can't be seen anyway because of Elizabeth's clothes and make-up and bags, roughly strewn in every cubic centimetre of the room. The only empty space is where Elizabeth is slumped in but she is too far out of it, to realise.

Her head spins giving her a woozy feeling making her feel lighter, like she is floating. She can't control her body but she doesn't mind, as long as she can't feel the sharp pain of loneliness and brokenness. 

"You're on in ten. Liz." A woman knocks and peers around the door. 

"Thanks Nelson." Elizabeth smiles, happily with glazed eyes. 

The dark skinned, brown eyed woman, smiles unsteadily giving Elizabeth a sympathetic look. Quickly backing away, not having the heart to remind Elizabeth again, that she is not Nelson and that he passed away. 

Elizabeth raises on her wavering feet, tilting to the side and nearly face planting the chair, she was just sitting on. Luckily, she manages to catch herself by resting both clammy hands on either side of the seat. Nausea washes over her and her eyesight blears but she swallows it down and blinks it all away. 

Elizabeth sways haphazardly to the door, waves of dizziness spill over her as she pushes open the door with a shoulder. She almost tumbles out onto the busy corridor.  

"Is she drunk again?! I can't believe this. I have the right mind to stop her going out there tonight." A fuming yell penetrates Elizabeth peaceful haze.  

"But there's only five minutes until the show starts." Another voice points out 

There's a deep frustrated sigh. 

"I know. After the show, I'm going to tell her unless she can sort herself out, she won't be doing anymore shows. This is not just her well-being in danger but also her reputation, as well as ours. I can't allow her to drown the rest of us, in her bloody obnoxious stubbornness. One day someone will know something is up. This is the last straw." The voice promises. 

The voices disappear with the high heels clicking into the distance. 

The words obviously don't register in Elizabeth's numb mind. 

"Well, someone is angry." She slurs and giggles before stumbling towards the stage, trying her best to stay upright.

The curtains are lifted. The band begins to play, the beat and rhythm bouncing into everyone's eardrums. 

Elizabeth begins to swish and dance, taken in by the music, she sings slightly off-key but her band play louder and faster in attempt to smother her. 

The crowd cheer, hoot and dance enjoying the concert.

Debrah, Elizabeth's manager breathes a sigh of relief as the gig is well underway. This is good, only a couple of songs left. She was shamelessly certain before, that Elizabeth would slip up tonight. She should  have more hope in her prodigy. Nonetheless tonight is going to be a close call. 

Debrah has decided that she would drop the final warning after the show to Elizabeth. How many more times could she tell Elizabeth to slow down on the alcohol and partying? Her words have fallen to deaf ears. She will have to be strict with her, tonight is just too unnerving for Debrah's comfort. This musn't happen again. Yes, her best friend has quit but  life still goes on.