Chapter 18

Scarlett trudges back into Elizabeth's mansion, as much as she hates to do so, she had left her keys on the corner table, in the corridor. Hopefully she can queitly slip in and out, without being noticed by Elizabeth. 

Fat chance that would happen though, since Elizabeth decided to increase her security. to prevent a certain supernatural, stalking her. Little did she know, no amount of sense detectors or screeching sirens will deter away the Trickster, as he so easily demonstrated last night, with Nelson.

"Scarlett." her head shoots up, frozen in place at the doorway, wedged between the hinge and the door.

Elizabeth steps towards Scarlett, both of them staring at each other, hesitantly. 

Finally a word comes out of Scarlett, accusingly,"Why?" 

"He said that he couldn't kill people, if he could he would've done it to me already. That's why I'm still here." Elizabeth meekly explains. But Francis's hot grasp on her hand still feels raw, as well as her scalding aggravation. "Unless...he lied." the words automatically tumble, from her mouth. 

Scarlett squints at her friend, still at the door. It seems that Elizabeth is having doubts and Scarlett would happily let her friend have them. She needs to figure this out for herself.  

"He wouldn't lie, right? Why would he lie? He can't kill people. There must be some supernatural law thing, right? Like there is one with you, when you can't tell me details about the Other-world unless I ask. He can't be lying? Can he?" Elizabeth babbles, as the uncertainty floods from her mind.

She had seen far too much, that she had to be suspicious and cautious in dealings, with Francis. There is something about Francis, that much Elizabeth knows. 

Scarlett enters through the doorway, just silently watching as Elizabeth thoughts scatter out of her mouth. The Trickster must have given something pretty big away, for Elizabeth to be on such high alert. Perhaps this is the last straw and Elizabeth will suss him out. 

Scarlett strides into the corridor, picking up her bag and turning to walk away, not uttering a thing. She would leave Elizabeth to it. It will take a while and quite frankly Scarlett is dog tired.  

"Wait, Scar! Where are you going?" Elizabeth calls out mid-way through her monologue of her self-doubt and confusion. 

"I need some space." Scarlett subduely replies, not having the energy to properly address Elizabeth.

She only realises that all she wants from Elizabeth, is for her, to say how sorry she was for siding with the Trickster and that she should have believed her. Perhaps, maybe some comfort for Nelson's death, the man she was beginning to really enjoy the company off. She couldn't give a damn at the moment, that Elizabeth is on the brink of an revelation and she is plagued with mistrust from the supernatural being.

-------

Scarlett slumps at a table for two, alone at the desert diner, facing the large window overlooking the late afternoon, bustling street, slowly savouring the last of her banana split, in front of her.

The desert bar is recovering from the busy lunch-time rush, the waitress and bus boys, cleaning away the scattered ice cream-smeared bowls and cutlery.

"Can I join your pity party?" 

Scarlett looks up from her empty bowl, startled at the male voice. Her eyes run up the man, who is fitted in a suit, with the whole waistcoat, tie and cuff links package. His blue eyes questioning her. Scarlett can't help, not taking in his prominent strong bone structure and his dusty blond hair. 

"Yeah, the more, the sadder." Scarlett shrugs, not finding any harm in letting this man sit with her, as she continues to sulk. 

"So, why so glum, chum." He quips, after neither of them speak.