✎ CHAPTER 1: Gift Of Time

Start from the beginning

Speaking in a hurry, Josh told the girls, "Sorry, ladies. He's taken." He winked at them then snatched Kevin away.

The girls squealed and one of them even said, "Aw, they're so cute together."

Kevin rolled his eyes, condemning both Josh's action and the girls' reaction.

Once they were away from the group, Kevin pushed Josh's hands off of his shoulders and turned around. "What is it this time?" He sighed as he leaned against the wall near the kitchen.

Josh pressed his hand against the wall and smirked. "First of all, that's my boy. How many numbers did you get?"

Kevin crossed his arms. "None. I only wanted one number." A half-smile spread on his lips. "And if you weren't too focused on your personal pleasures, you'd know that I got it a week ago."

"Dude, you're seeing Jessica now?"

Kevin felt his cheeks grow warm. "It's only been one date."

Josh whistled. "Smooth. Which brings me to the second thing. If Zoey asks, I'm working late with my dad. OK?"

Kevin glared at his friend. "And by working with your dad you mean being with another girl?"

Josh responded shamelessly with a proud, big smile, "Yup, it's Sheila. She's in the car right now. I'm betting we're hitting it after the movies." He wiggled his eyebrows.

"Josh!" Kevin dropped his arms in disappointment. "You interrupted me for that? You could've just called or left a voice message."

"No, it's not just for that," said Josh with a mocking tone. Then he raised his voice just a little, "OK, it is." He shrugged to defend himself. "But what am I suppose to do? You weren't answering your phone, and you know I don't do voice messages."

"I don't want to lie to her."

"Please, dude. Just this time. Do it for your buddy ol' pal."

Kevin closed his eyes and muttered, "Fine." He lifted his index finger with an adorable attempt to send Josh the scariest glare he could draw. "But you gotta be straight with her one day or I will."

"Thanks, Kev," smiled Josh and patted Kevin's shoulder.

"And don't barge in here like that again. I swear, one of these days you're gonna get me fired."

"Nah." Josh frowned. "They can't fire you. They need you. You're like a chick magnet." He winked.

Kevin blushed and said, "Thanks, jerk."

"Anytime, nerd," said Josh before he walked to the exit. "Peace." He waved the peace sign and left.

Apparently, not just the chicks, thought Kevin when he spotted the Thursday night's businessman just arriving and sitting alone at an empty table by the window.