✎ CHAPTER 1: Gift Of Time

Start from the beginning

He rolled the towel between his hands. "I'm fine. Why?"

"You're not yourself tonight." She squinted her eyes at him like she was interrogating him. Lowering her voice, she said, "Is it because of that businessman who comes here every Thursday?"

"No, no." He shook his head and lowered his eyes. "It's just that next week is the University's midterms. That's all."

She leaned forward and drew lopsided smile. "Kevin." Her piercing eyes saw right through him. "If that man is bothering you I can assign someone else to be his server."

"Don't." He begged her with his eyes. "It's nothing I can't handle. Plus, he's a good tipper." He forced a smile.

She pressed her lip together and paused. "OK." She nodded. "But you let me know if he ever crosses the lines."

"Of course! Thanks, Susan."

She gave him a motherly pat. They both smiled then parted.

Kevin's next customers were a group of high school girls. Their eyes followed him, longing to hear his husky, soft voice that melted their hearts. Giggles and whispers rose up from them whenever he glanced in their direction.

Long ago, a friend told him he was everyone's type. Shorter than other men. His innocent smile made him cute in the eyes of the youths. He was healthy-fit, catching the eyes of the adults too. 

"Welcome to Chili's," he greeted the girls with a cheerful attitude. "My name is Kevin. I'll be your server for this evening." He placed the menus on the table, neglecting the flirty looks and giggles. "I'll be back to take your orders when you're ready."

One girl handed him back her menu and said, "I already know what I want."

"Oh. OK." Kevin took the menu and pulled his little notebook out. "What would it be, miss?"

The sassy girl looked at Kevin square in the eye and said, with the sexiest voice she could muster, "I want you. On a plate."

Kevin had heard all kinds of pick up lines from his customers. From the classic "Here's my card," to the gross "I don't need sugar in my drink. I only need your finger in it," and, finally, the creepy "When does your shift end? Because I'd love to walk you home." But this girl came up with the weirdest line of all. It took him by surprise.

Kevin chuckled. "I'm sorry." His cheeks blushed, both embarrassed and nervous. "I. Umm." He scratched the back of his head. "I don't know what to—"

Just before he finished his sentence, a guy came along and grabbed Kevin from the back by the shoulders, startling him.

Kevin looked behind and said, "Josh?"

Josh was a raven-haired man of average height, which made him taller than Kevin. His smug, little grin and his neat, cashmere clothes gave people the impression of a stereotypical upper middle class kid.

 His smug, little grin and his neat, cashmere clothes gave people the impression of a stereotypical upper middle class kid