"Maybe that will be us, someday," his inner voice replied.

I looked up at him. "Really? You want to marry me?" It took me by surprise. I knew he loved me, but marriage?

He smiled, his eyes still caressing mine. "I want to spend forever with you. I would be honored to give you my name."

"Where would we do it?"

He kissed the tip of my nose. "Anywhere you want."

We were seated within fifteen minutes. "Can I get you a drink?" The waiter asked Dustin.

"I'll have a gin and tonic."

"ID please."

Dustin caught the waiter's eyes and said, "You already saw my ID. I'm twenty-one. And so is she."

The waiter nodded slowly and looked at me. "Ma'am?"

"Vodka and cranberry."

He scribbled on his pad and wandered away. "Dustin!" I admonished. "You totally messed with his mind." I watched the poor guy stumble as the stupor started to clear.

"It's not a complete lie. I'm over a hundred and fifty years old. Now, the part about you..." he trailed off.

I shook my head and laughed. "You're terrible."

The waiter reappeared with our drinks. "Are you guys ready to order?"

"I'll have the jambalaya," I replied.

"Same." Dustin handed him our menus. He nodded, still looking a little dazed.

"So," I began, "tell me something I don't know about you."

He looked a little surprised. "Like what?"

"I don't know," I shrugged. "Something that you wouldn't normally tell someone."

"Well, if I wouldn't normally tell someone then why would I tell you?"

I gave him an exasperated look. "Dustin..."

"Okay, okay." He gave in. "Something you don't know..."

I took a sip of my drink and made a face. It was strong! "So...?" I urged.

"I speak eight languages."

"Well, that's cool," I replied. "But not very personal." I took another sip of my drink.

He paused and thought for a minute. "I would really like to be a father."

My mouth dropped open. "Seriously? Is that even possible?"

He laughed at the shocked look on my face. "It's sort of tricky, but it is possible. Why is that so surprising to you?"

"I guess I never thought about it. I mean, baby vampires?" I had intrusive thoughts of crazy blood thirsty toddlers.

He sat back in his chair. "Just because we're immortal doesn't mean we don't still think like the living. Passing on our genes means just as much to us as it does to you. Don't you ever think about having kids?"

"Well, yah, but not for a while." I drained the last of my drink, feeling the alcohol warm my stomach on its way down.

"I wasn't saying I wanted to have one tomorrow. I just know that someday I do."

I looked deep into his eyes and felt myself falling into him. "You would be a great father. I hope someday you get the chance."

He returned my stare. "Maybe someday we will get the chance."

"How-" I began, but was interrupted by the waiter with our food.

"Thank you." Dustin smiled up at him, catching his eyes again.

The waiter gazed back and nodded. "Yes sir, right away."

I picked up my spoon and started to eat. The next few minutes were filled with chewing sounds and spoons clinking against bowls. "How is it?" Dustin took another bite.

"Unbelievable." I savored each scoop.

A few minutes later our waiter returned carrying a bouquet of purple and white roses. He handed them to me and turned to Dustin. "Anything else, sir?"

"Are these for me?" I squeaked, burying my nose in the fragrant blossoms.

Dustin smiled, as he slipped the waiter a twenty. "Thank you. That'll be all." The waiter nodded, and drifted away, the twenty clenched in his hand.

"You are so romantic." I picked out one of the purple blooms and tucked it behind my ear. "How'd I get so lucky?"

He reached across the table and took my hand. A spike of pain rushed through my head and I closed my eyes. When I opened them, I was standing on the Bluff that had become Our Spot. I looked over and was shocked to realize I was staring at myself. A flood of warm feelings rushed over me, causing my face to flush and my palms to sweat. I had never felt such an overwhelming desire to be near someone, to possess someone so completely. I looked down to find the necklace Dustin had given me dangling from my fingers. It was a memory from the night he gave me my crest necklace. For the first time since they started, I didn't want this vision to end. But as abruptly as it began, I was back at the table in front of my jambalaya.

"Did it work?" Dustin asked me, telepathically.

"Did what work?" I returned with my inner voice.

"I tried to send you one of my happiest memories." He gave me a tentative smile.

I jumped up and rushed into his arms. "It was the most romantic thing I have ever felt." Tears formed in my eyes. "I had no idea it could feel like that. Every vision I've had so far, has been painful and devastating. I can't believe you really feel like that about me."

He wrapped his arms around me and pressed his forehead to mine. "I just wanted you to know that not every memory has to be bad. That even though all of this can be scary, it can be beautiful too."

"Oh, my god. I am so lucky you healed me." I cuddled back into his embrace, as his adoration flooded through my whole body. In that moment, I didn't care whether our love was a product of the Link or not. He was mine and I was his, forever.

Author's Note: Anyone from or been to New Orleans? Did I do your city justice? Comment and vote below! Luvs as always!! AM💜