Chapter 27

"So" I start as an attempt to break the awkward silence. "Are you guys hyped for your next football game?"

They all just sat around our usual table silently. They all looked down at their food or occasionally pulled out their cellphone (despite the school's no cell phone policy).

Whatever happened between them was big. Laura and I are the only ones that are out of the loop, and it's driving me insane.

I was told by Thomas not to ask about what happened. So I'm keeping my mouth shut, despite my desire to interrogate each of them.

"Super" Tommy clenches his jaw as taking a mouthful of his chocolate custard.

Suddenly the bell goes for class. We all stand and go our separate ways. I see Ely in the distance. He's always honest with me, perhaps he'll tell something.

"Ely" I call as following him down the hall. "Are you okay?"

He glances at me "I'm fine" he smiles before nodding "why do you ask?"

Okay, so he's playing dumb. I guess Thomas didn't tell any of them that I know somethings up. Its to be expected I guess since none of them are talking. I'll let it go then.

"No reason" I shake my head slowly "no reason at all"

"....well okay then," He says with a blank expression. "I'll see you later"

With that, he leaves my sight. What happened yesterday?

***

"Hello?" I answer as pressing my cell against my ear.

I stood beside the lockers after school, with very few people in the halls.

"Tell me now" he begins "are you going to be ruining my concentration or are you finding your own way home?"

I furrowed my brows "Wait a sec" I cry "you're staying behind to grade papers again?"

He's insane. Surely he would have finished grading all the papers yesterday?

"Well I was supposed to do all my grading last night but I had an interruption" Hank retorts.

Oops.

"So I guess this is kinda my fault huh?" I look down.

"Kinda, is an understatement," Hank tells me.

Well I want a ride home, cause there's no way I'm walking. I'll just hang around instead of waiting with him.

"Right okay....umm I'll hang around school till you're done" I nod my head.

"Alright, see you later" he says.

"Bye" I end the call.

Now where the hell am I going to go? School beaches to watch the football players train? Maybe the gymnasium to watch the basketball players? Or I could sit in Hanks car and play candy crush?

"Excuse me" a voice starts. I look up to see a smouldering guy with caramel skin, chocolate brown eyes, and a buzz cut. The guy wore a simple suit, and he couldn't be any older than twenty-five "Can you tell me where I can find the principals office?"

Wow he's hot.

"Uh..." I stutter "yeah its uh down the hall to the right, then take a left, another right, then you walk straight for a while then it's the third door to the left". The guy looks at me blankly "how bout uh I just show you"

Seriously it's my pleasure walking beside this guy, even if it is for only a minute.

"Thank you" he agrees as we begin walking down the hallway "I feel a little embarrassed asking for directions, after all, I did attend this school" he admits "but they remodelled some areas after I left, now the whole place looks foreign to me"