Chapter 12 - "Unfortunate Day."

Start from the beginning

          "My life ... it's ruined ... one of my father's friends was spreading false rumours about me when I decline his hand in marriage. You ... you left me alone when I needed someone the most. You push me away Ava. That hurts, a lot." She begins to cry again.

          I take a box of tissues and give it to her.

          "My life has no meaning ... my career is on the verge of dying as well."

          Basically, I am to blame? She's blaming me?

          "Everything can be fixed." I take out my phone and make a call. "Tell me, what's his name."

          Her teary eyes look up to mine. "Caesar Rogers."

          That name sounds familiar to me somehow. "Rogers as in Rogers Steel company?"

          Fiona nods.

          Oh ... this will be fun.

          I tell Kelly what to do to clear Fiona's name as well  as to clear my company's name.

          When I'm done, I notice Fiona's now on the loveseat, lying down. "Aren't you going home? I thought your wife would be waiting."

          "I'm staying in the office tonight. I haven't finish sorting the dinner party sitting area."

          She replies with an oh. "So she's not at home?"

          "No she's in the dorm." I pick up the papers that are on the floor. Honestly, she could help me with sorting these things out but no ... she'd rather be lazy over there.

          "So basically, I'm here with you ... you're having an affair with me right?" She laughs at the situation.

          Seriously, how can she joke about that. "We're not having an affair. Do not start such baseless rumour."

          "What baseless rumour? We're together inside your office alone. Anyone that has the right mind would think that way." She laughs again. It seems like she's having fun teasing me.

          "Fiona, I thought you have a fiancée."

          "We end it."

          "Is that Why Caesar Rogers asked for your hand in marriage?"

          "Please don't remind me of that bastard."

          I chuckle. "I'm sorry for not be able to return the feelings." The atmosphere seems awkward now.

          "That's weird coming from you. It's fine. I get it. If you, someone who has the heart of steel could love somebody that's not me, means now you've slowly become a human again. I'm glad at least."

          That doesn't sound like she's glad at all.

          "Does Veronica have a date for the dinner party?" She suddenly asks.

          "I'm not sure." I reply to her. I'm finally done stacking the paperwork on my desk again. I can't believe I have to organise it again. I sigh.

          "Whats with the sigh?" She has the audacity to asked me that?

          "Nothing. I just thought about the person who knocked everything on the floor. I wish to kill that person for adding more work for me."

          She laughs. "Guilty as charged. Come here and kill me. I'll be taking my punishment with a smile on my face."

          My phone starts to ring again. When I look at the person calling me, I immediately pick it up. "Hello?"