Chapter Three

Chapter Three

I didn’t know how to deal with Ellie’s sickness. In the back of my mind, I began to question why I cared about her so much in such a short amount of time. I mean, I only knew her for less than a day. So why did I feel like I could open up to her about anything, even my deepest, darkest secrets?

I didn’t know, but I knew one thing for sure: she needed a friend, and I was the closest thing to one she’s had in a while. I needed to let her know that I would be there for her.

“So,” I said, finishing up the last of my breakfast, “what do you usually do around here?”

Ellie shrugged. “I dunno. Watch TV . . . read . . . do homework. Other days my tutor will come and we’d go over my studies, math being my worst.” She laughed. “You, on the other hand, will be getting surgery on your leg.”

I had almost forgot; my ligament needed operating, and who knew how long it would be until the doctor would escort me to the surgical room? The thought made me sick to my stomach, but reminding myself of what Ellie had to deal with helped ease my anxiety. Come on, I said, I’m here worrying about a simple operation, while Ellie has to battle with cancer? No. If she can go through all that suffering, I can live through one operation.

“Yeah,” I said. I gulped down the last of my orange juice. “When will that be, anyways?”

Ellie shrugged in reply. “I have no idea. I don’t know any more than you.”

I sighed as the same blonde nurse came in. She looked at Ellie, situated comfortably at the end of my bed. “What are you doing?! Didn’t nurse Laya tell you to leave this boy alone?” She turned to me. “I’m so sorry - ”

“No,” I smiled, “it’s fine, really.” I shot a glance at Ellie. “She’s been keeping me company.”

Ellie looked at the blonde nurse and nodded quickly. “Yeah, I have, Sarah.”

Sarah looked at her, then back at me, wondering what to do. Eventually she said, “Very well,” and took both our empty platters and cups away. “Do you two need anything?”

“Yeah, actually,” I spoke up. Nurse Sarah must have expected us to say no, for she gave me a look of surprise. She sighed reluctantly, obviously not wanting to deal with us anymore.

“Fine,” she said. “What do you need?”

“When do I have to go in for . . .” I swallowed hard, the harsh reality of what was coming my way hitting me like a rock. But once again, the thought of what Ellie had been through calmed me down. “. . . for surgery?”

Nurse Sarah shrugged. “To tell you the truth, I have no idea. Sorry.” After swiveling down the table that was once across my lap, she repositioned the covers so that it went all the way to my neck. “But don’t worry,” there was a new sound of sympathy in her voice, “the surgeons’ll know what they’re doing.”

She left the room with our dirty dishes, leaving Ellie and I alone once again. “Well, she’s pleasant,” I spoke up. “What’s her deal?”

Ellie shook her head. “I don’t know. I figure it’s because she hates her job.” She made a dirty look, “But that’s no excuse for the way she acts. I mean, she shouldn’t take her anger out on us!”

I didn’t say more. Instead, I began to close my eyes, wondering how long it would be until my operation. Surprisingly enough, I was still exhausted, even after a full night of sleep. I felt Ellie get up from my bed, followed by the sound of her footsteps moving back over to her side of the room.