Chapter 4: Firebending Test and a Celebration

Chapter 4:

Firebending Test and a Celebration

The next morning I woke up to the sounds of a busy city and a lot of cheering for Zuko. I can’t believe that in one generation the people’s fear of the Royal family could be completely broken.  There’s only one thing that I can’t stand about this era, the fact that people still believe that Aang’s the last Airbender if the war is over why are all the children I saved still in hiding? Is there still an unknown threat to the Airbenders out there? I can’t wait to start school and learn about what’s happened in the past 95 years.

I decided to get a start on the day since Zuko had asked me to meet up with him as soon as I could today. Knowing that I didn’t have much time to get to the Palace and still have time to make my bending exam I used my airbending to get dressed. I also left Furuka’s necklace on my dresser having it with me today would be too painful.  A knock sounded on my door as I finished preparing.

“Ms. Sia sorry to bother you so early in the morning, but because the festival is today your exam has been moved to now. Master Iroh is waiting to evaluate you,” a servant of the school informed me.

“Alright please take me to him,” I said my royal upbringing sneaking into my tone.

“Yes my lady, please follow me,” he replied bowing. I still have the effect of commanding respect from those around me I guess even if they don’t know that I’m a Princess.

After our exchange we walked in silence with the servant acting as though I was a visiting dignitary from another country. The grounds around the school were breathtakingly beautiful and there was barely any smog from factories. Everywhere I looked there were families with young children all smiling and having fun. Is this the effect of what Aang and Zuko have accomplished together in the span of a few short years?

“We are here my lady,” the man said bowing once again before he opened the door of what I assumed was a fire proof training facility.

“Welcome Sia. I am General Iroh also the schools firebending tester. I have taught many people firebending so I know all of the different levels. Not many people are as skilled as me,” Iroh greeted me. It’s hard to believe that the five year old cousin of mine who struggled when I tried to teach him firebending was now a master.

“A pleasure to see you again Iroh,” I smiled although he probably just thought I was talking about the teashop.

“Well then let’s get started. Hit me with all you got,” he smiled kindly at me well gesturing for me to attack.

Most firebenders would attack right away, but as I had taught Iroh when he was an impatient child you need to pay attention to your surroundings, so instead of attacking right away I took in the lay of the room. The ceiling beams were low enough for a normal person skilled in acrobats to reach, the walls were unmeltable, meaning the room could scorch as alive if we weren’t careful, but most of all right below Iroh’s feet was a metal grate.

Without him noticing what I was doing I stared at his feet and raised heat from the ground scorching the bottoms of his feet making him jump into the air and throw a ball of fire at me. I retaliated by making a small fire whirlwind and siphoning his fire up turning it around to go back at him. I then heated up my flames until they were multicolored and drew lightning from the electricity in the air firing it at Iroh through my flames, so that he’d dodge the fames without having enough time to dodge the lightning. As I suspected he dodged the flames with ease and the lightning struck him, but to my surprise he absorbed it and shot it back at me. I barely had enough time to jump above to the ceiling raptors.

“You’re a very talented bender. You remind me of my first teacher,” he complimented me smiling.

“Thank you Master Iroh. Now if you’ll excuse me I have a meeting with your stubborn nephew,” I said waving goodbye.