0.9

A GIFT FROM HEAVEN!

A GIFT FROM HEAVEN!

A disgruntled scream escaped the brunettes lips as she crumpled up another wad of paper. She was trying to start her summer experience essay but she couldn't think of anything. An old Frankie Valli record was playing in her room. A soft flame licked the wall around her desk. Her room was peaceful, her mind was not.

Giving up on the essay she pulled out her poetry book. She wasn't good writing, at all, but it calmed her so she did it anyway.

A soft knock broke her away from the page. She set down the pen, mumbling a quiet 'come in'.

"Hey V," Lucas said walking into her pale blue room. Tears glistened on his cheeks, more threatening to spill. Veronica's brows pinched together in concern. She stood up, ready to engulf her brother in a hug.

"Whats wrong?" She asked, taking a step closer to him. Lucas bit his lip, avoiding her gaze.

"Mom had a heart attack, shes in the hospital right now," he said as quickly as he could, like ripping off a bandage. Confusion spread across Veronicas face. Her mother was fine, she wasn't sick, she was in shape, and she had a healthy diet.

"Well is she ok?" She asked. But by the look on her brothers face, she knew. Her mother was dying and without a moments notice.

"As of right now shes not doing to well," he told her. Her own tears began to prick at her eyes. Veronica hated crying. It made her feel all icky.

"Can we see her?" Veronica choked out. Lucas nodded, wrapping his arm around his sister.

"Yeah of course."

The Hodges siblings walked into the Derry Hospital that afternoon, hoping to see their mother.

"Kathrine Hodges." the older boy said to the nurse at desk. She nodded, pulling up the room number on her computer.

"Right this way," the women bit her lip as the three walked down the white halls. Lucas's sneakers squeaked as he turned a corner. The nurse didn't want to tell the children that there was mother wasn't going to make it. So she kept her mouth shut and led them to the room.

Kathrine Hodges was suffering from a heart attack with an unknown cause. A possible unknown heart condition or birth defect, could've been the cause. But the doctors did not know.

"In here," she told them opening the door. Their lying awake was the children's mother. Her hair was knotted and her skin paled. The women gave a weak smile as she saw her babies walk through the door. Veronica sat in the aged wooden chair next to her mothers cream hospital bed. Lucas stood next to his sister, his arms folded over his chest as a defense.

"My babies," Kathrine whispered tears streaming down her face. Earlier that day she had gotten the news she was only supposed to live a couple more hours.

Katherine's husband Jason had come in earlier to say goodbye to the love of his life. He had promised to take care of their children even though he had been quite absent prior. Kathrine had also asked her husband to bring the boxes, which held secrets that when her children were in trouble to open. The women reached to her bedside and grabbed each box. One box was black with a green ribbon while the other was white with a lilac colored ribbon. She careful handed them to her children.

"Open these when you need protection the most," she whispered, a small twinkle in her dulling eyes. Veronica looked down at the little white box. A tear rolled down her cheek and into her lap. It hit the box, turning it a slight grey at her tears contact. Her mother reached out and touched her cheek wiping another stray tear away.

"I love you, Lucas Jacob," she told  her eldest as he bent down to give her a kiss. "And you," she said turing to her daughter. "You are a gift from heaven, Veronica Grace." The women's hand who was touching her daughters cheek fell, resting lifelessly off the bed. The machine beeped signaling her heart had finally stopped fighting. Kathrine Hodges laid dead next to her beloved children.

🥀
A/n ummm that took a turn?

present a/n did I know where this was going when i wrote it, no ✌️