Chapter 21: An Unexpected Meeting

Začít od začátku

"You're right Isaac! I need to do something, I can't just let Aiden kill himself! I'll help you, just show me where you last saw him!" I answered with a newfound courage.

"Okay, then follow me!" He replied while heading for the door.

I followed him outside and headed for the wolf shelter. That's when I noticed the gate wide open, Luna and Ares were gone.

"Where are they?" Isaac asked with concern.

I scanned the woods before letting out an ear piercing howl.

"What was that!" Isaac asked covering his ears.

"Shhh!" I answered.

In the distance I could hear two distinctive howls.

"It's them!"

"How can you be sure?" Isaac asked.

"All wolves have a unique howl. It's like how each human has their own voice." I replied.

"Why didn't you just whistle?"

"It is more effective to howl to signal a direction, especially since they will reply back. Many times when you whistle you just expect them to come and if they were not close enough to hear the whistle then it wouldn't matter. From the sound of it they are just north of here." I stated.

"Oh that makes sense!"

"Let's go!" I hurried.

We began hiking north in search for my two loyal companions. After howling a few more times, we had finally found their exact location.

"What are you two doing this far from home?" I questioned as I walked closer to them. They glanced in my direction, but quickly turned their attention away.

"What did you find?" I asked. They seemed to be starring at an entrance into a cave. I walked closer to it and studied the features of the entrance. It was like most cave entrances, wide and dark; however, the entrance itself had precious gems embedded into it.

"A diamond?" Isaac asked astonished, as he picked at a clear stone in the entrance.

"Probably quartz!" I exclaimed.

"What's the difference?"

"Well, a diamond is much harder than a quartz so it doesn't break easily. A quartz just looks like a diamond." I stated.

"Hmm I guess you learn something new everyday."

I ignored his statement and asked, "Do you think we should check it out? Aiden may be in there."

"I don't see why not?".

We started walking into the entrance but when we got within a foot of entering, Ares started growling. I looked at him with astonishment, "What is it?" He growled again and took a step forward. "Ares, what is wrong?" I asked gingerly. By this time Luna had also joined in with Ares and they were both edging closer to us. We took a step back even farther than where we were originally and they both got quite. I looked at Isaac who was absolutely terrified, and whispered, "They don't want us going in that cave."

Still watching Luna and Ares Isaac replied saying, "I think you're right. But my question is, why would they lead you here if they didn't want you to going in?"

"I have no idea? Maybe they are defending the cave or protecting us from whatever is inside." I whispered.

"Maybe...but..." He was cut off by a yell coming from inside the cave. "It's Aiden! He's hurt!" He took a step forward upon instinct and nearly got a bite taken out of his arm. Luna had snapped at him nicking his forearm. I managed to pull him back just in time to avoid her grasp. Isaac looked down at the blood dripping from his arm and his face turned pale.