Chapter 4 - Devil's advocate

Start from the beginning

She laughed out loud "It will fade. Eventually." She nodded towards both men "Go talk to them."

"Are you serious?" I looked at her with a slack-jawed expression. "Why on earth would I talk to them? Just look at them." I discretely pointed towards where they stood, trying to avert my eyes.

"I am. So what? It is called having fun Korina." She smirked as she moved her hips.

"What-? Oh, God. I have work to do you know." I said, putting my hands on my hips.

"Consider it part of the work." She winked as she flew over to the blond man offering her hand in greeting.

"Oh hell, no she didn't." I muttered to myself as I slowly dragged my feet towards them.

"My name is Ivana Varga. Gentlemen, do you enjoy our display?" My Mother said smiling.

"Daniel Ryce and this is my friend Maximillian Donati. It is spectacular, thank you." Answered the blond man, kissing her hand and slightly bowing.

Mother literally blushed at his manners and turned to the man called Maximilian. "I am glad to meet you. My daughter painted them." She pointed at my collection. Both men turned to stare at me.

"You are the artist then. So you must be Korina Varga." Daniel said with an amusing smile on his face.

I gulped as I stepped closer, shaking his hand. He was intimidating to say at least.

"They are beautiful."

I was relieved I could turn to the red-headed man standing next to him. "Thank you." It was easier to look into his eyes, since they were somehow gentle, almost friendly.

"Can they be already purchased?" He asked me and I couldn't help myself to angle closer to him. His presence was soothing me, easing the coldness inside me. It was as he was radiating the light and heat.

"No, but after today they can." I said, feeling cold again as he took a step back. Shame colored my cheeks as I figured he must think what a maniac I am, invading his personal space.

But he didn't look appalled, instead, he kept looking at me with a fixated stare.

"Is everything all right?" I asked him, feeling overwhelmed under his scrutinizing stare.

"Yes, I..." He started "It is only that..." He moistened his lips, trying to compose himself.

I remained quiet, waiting for him to finish his sentence, looking at his confused, pained expression.

"It's astonishing, how much you resemble the person I used to know." His hand twitched, almost like he wanted to touch me.

I itched to ask him who is that person I resembled and what happened to her, but it wasn't my place to ask.

"Sir." I said, not knowing how to properly address him, as he seemed almost regal.

"Call me Maximillian, please." He said, his eyes smiling.

"Max." The blond man, Daniel, warned. He slowly shook his head. "You promised not to."

Promised what? I thought. Those men barely even knew me, what is there to promise? This whole situation was just strange. The red-headed man behaved like he somehow knew me and the blond one was now acting hostile. I shuddered as he glared at me, giving me the feeling he wanted to charge me any second.

I pulled away, hating myself for my cowardice as I stepped closer to Maximillian. At the same time, he angled his body closer to mine, probably unknowingly assuring me, he would keep me safe.