Chapter 2-Trials, Troubles, and Temptations, Oh My!

What I covered in the last chapter is usually what many Christians end with. They don't tend to go into the subject on a word nobody likes; Troubles. John 16:33 NIV:

"... In this world, you will have trouble.."

Matthew 10:22,

            "And you will be hated by all for my name's sake..."

Usually Christians ignore those verses; they don't get excited hearing that they will be hated. There's a false gospel going around, saying that all we have to do is believe and everything will be all shiny and wonderful!

"There will be rainbows surrounding your house; you'll have a mansion, lots of kids, and a big swimming pool! You can have a blessed life, all you have to do is believe!"

How about you say that to the Christians who hide underground, quietly preaching out of their own poverty, constantly under the threat that they could be persecuted at any minute! Or, how about you say that to your Christian friend who lost his job and is heading for poverty! Or, how about you say that to your Christian friend who is abused by their parents! Or, how about you say that to the Christian orphans! How about the lonely Christian in the military, the lonely Christian teenager with depression, or the suicidal widow! The numbers of Christians who are suffering are terrifyingly huge! It might not even be in obvious ways, but every Christian will be persecuted for Jesus. Even mega pastors who have mansions and millions of dollars still get persecuted in a few ways. Now this persecution isn't always getting beaten for our faith, but it can also be someone making fun of us for believing, suffering emotionally and physically, or more! We see this suffering for other people and ignore it most the time, but when it turns around onto us, we start panicking, getting angry and being hateful. But James 1:2 says,

"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness."

So when we meet depression, bullies and persecutors out to steal our joy, we're supposed to remain joyful? Yes actually! In fact, I read a book on Martyrs of the Faith, and nearly all of them right before they die sing a hymn of praise towards God, cheerfully singing and praying. HOW? Some have died in the worst ways imaginable! I can assure you that this joy doesn't come on its own, but rather is a gift from God! God gives us this Joy! Romans 15:13,

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope."

God is the only one who fills us up with Joy. Can a balloon give itself helium? No, helium has to be pumped in by a human. The balloon is completely incapable of filling itself up with helium. It's the same way with us for joy. We can attempt to get Joy ourselves, but it doesn't last very long. Our self efforts can drive us crazy, but we can't get Joy. But God, who graciously loves us, freely gives all who calls on him Joy! Sometimes though, we don't feel this joy. Do you ever feel like the joy has been sucked out of you? Or that your life is slowly deflating because joy is finding a way to escape?

Joy isn't based on temporal circumstances, but rather, it's based on an eternal truth.

It is the truth that Christ came onto this earth, for sinful screwups like me an you. I believe from scripture, that we are sinful, messed up, and broken people. The Bible says in Romans 3:10, "No one seeks after God." Not only do we sin, but we don't desire God, or desire His will. We are in utter hostility to Him as Romans 8:7 says, "For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot." You see as well this incapability to submit to God because of our hostility. This rejection must be punished by God.
     However, God also loves us. He doesn't desire the death of us, wicked people, but rather, that we be set free from the bondage of sin, death, and the devil. He came onto this earth, lived a perfect life, and set us free. He made us who were dead in our sins, alive in Christ.

THIS is where we receive TRUE JOY! Again, Joy is not based on the temporal circumstances of life, but on this eternal truth, that we are saved by Christ. Nothing we can do can make God love us more or less. By Christ's death, burial, and resurrection, He pleased God for us. Then, He doesn't just leave us there, but continually gives us His gifts! He gives to you His peace, His love, His continually forgiveness, and His Joy, which He freely gives to you and to me.

    When we have this true joy that comes from Christ alone, God gives us the strength and ability to overcome trials and temptations! Another thing we have to remember during trials is to seek fellowship with other believers. If we are alone, than it's easier for trials to overcome us! But thanks be to God, who promises us that He'll never leave us or forsake us. He gives us this peace not only today, not only the next 86,400 seconds, not only tomorrow, but all eternity, no matter what comes our way.