Chapter Seventeen

I stuck out my jaw, willing myself not to cry, remembering the words that Oma had said to me more than once growing up. "You're a Foster for God sake!"

I didn't always understand what she meant. But now, standing in a rundown biker bar with a quivering chin, I did. I was ashamed, thankful that Oma wasn't here now to witness my failure. My ancestors were powerful witches, rumored to create love potions that ensnared men for life after they first rejected them. My ancestors cursed those who broke their hearts and casted spells to have their way as they saw fit. I was a Foster. But all of me wanted Hunter to want me 100%. Without magic. Without meddling.

I stood there shifting my weight back and forth. This was a mistake. I'd been nervous coming in and now I knew why. My senses—I'd ignored my Gifts that had tried desperately to warn me this would be a disaster. I hadn't listened and that was on me.

I tossed the remainder of my drink in the trash and headed for the front door.

A whistle pierced the charged air from someone in the back. The restaurant was quiet in an instant, save for the music still playing in the speakers. My heart dropped in anticipation.

A grizzly voice from someone I didn't see, made an announcement. "We've got company."

I was forgotten. The patrons spun into a flurry of movement. A man with a silver beard and matching long hair whipped out a gun from his jacket, loading rounds. Someone in the back flipped over a table. What the hell was going on?

In a flash, Hunter was at my side. He firmly clutched my elbow and led me toward the back of the bar, away from the front door. He was strong and he leaned over as he spoke. "You need to leave. Now."

"I was leaving," I snapped. I wasn't an idiot. I'd gotten it the first time. He didn't want me around.

Hunter pulled me into the women's restroom and backed me against the wall. He still held my elbow but his other hand had found and gripped my waist. His bright eyes searched mine and he pleaded. "Promise me you won't get involved. No matter what happens, you will leave. Climb the fence and run. Don't stop. Not for anything."

My stomach dropped. His blue eyes were icy with fear. This was bigger than me walking into his favorite bar.

"What's going on?" I asked. "What kind of trouble are you in?"

Hunter shook his head and swore. "If anything happens to you..." He bit his lower lip and shook his head. He didn't finish the thought. His jaw clenched before he asked again. "Promise. Promise me you'll run. Do not get involved."

"I promise," I said, to appease him. He sighed. If something big was going down, the last thing he needed was to worry about me too. 

Guilt washed over me because I was a liar. What kind of true love would I be if I deserted him when he needed me most?