Chapter Thirty-Nine

Chapter Thirty-Nine

"Thanks for your help," Zeus told Lucifer with a smirk, folding his arms over his chest, "I knew you were the right person to ask to seduce Hades. I was just hoping that I was the one who could have ripped his heart out."

What?

Lucifer's eyes widened at that and he jerked his head up, staring at Zeus in utter horror. He was splattered with blood, fresh and red, dripping down his face and his black stitch uniform, and in his palm that I remembered felt so good rubbing my back and sinking into my hair, now held my heart in it. Out in the open and completely vulnerable.

"No," Lucifer stammered suddenly, then looked down at me, "No, Hades, that's not what I wanted to do! This wasn't supposed to happen!" Wasn't supposed to happen? What wasn't supposed to happen?

Seduce Hades.

Those words rang hollow in my head and suddenly everything clicked together. Zeus asked Lucifer to do this, to do everything he'd done up until now. Of course he didn't actually give a shit. I can't even remember what made me think that this was real. I knew there was something odd about Lucifer coming onto me randomly. He'd made me believe in the beginning that it was just him needing blood for the curse Michael had dealt him, and then he made me believe it was because he gave a shit, but in the end, I had been right.

Again.

"No, Hades," Lucifer managed, gripping my heart and causing an odd phantom pain to throb in my chest, "It's not true, he's manipulating you--"

"Me," Zeus exclaimed, bewildered, then he let out a laugh, "Hades knows me. I have no need to manipulate him. I just asked if you could seduce Hades for me so I could teach him a lesson. The best part is he actually believed you."

"No," Lucifer shouted angrily, blinking rapidly and looking down at me, "Hades, he's lying. He did come to me and ask me to help him, but he never told me what to do and I told him no." I wasn't sure I could register those words correctly because the reality of it was burning itself into my brain. The reality was that Zeus asked Lucifer to seduce me and Lucifer did it. And now my heart was in his hand and he knew the ritual was in my holster and he could easily take it out.

Except Lucifer didn't do it. Zeus stooped down beside my body. I tried to move to get him away from me, to get them both away from me, but my body wouldn't work. It wouldn't obey me. It just laid there like a corpse, like I was trapped inside my body and was forced to watch everything going on around me. Zeus flipped open my holster and took out the napkin with the ritual scribbled on it. Lucifer made a grab for it, but Zeus stepped back and laughed, wagging his finger.

"Ah, ah, Lucifer," He warned, making Lucifer seethe, "That wasn't part of the deal. I'll be the one to get rid of him. For millennia, I've had to put up with this pathetic bastard. To be honest, I thought I was content with just tormenting him and fucking him on the side, but when the idea of killing him became a option, I really liked it. I don't have to come up with excuses or worry about Hades opening his big fat pathetic mouth." Zeus looked down at the slip of paper.

"Hmm, let's see... I, son of Rhea and Cronus, lord of sky and lightning and all gods, now hereby command that you, Hades, son of Rhea, Titaness of Titans, and Cronus, Titan of Titans, shall forever rot in Tartarus without physical form. I sentence you to death." He announced, then smirked, crumpling the ritual up in his fist and burning it up. He reached for my heart, but Lucifer withdrew quickly and went to replace it in my chest, but Zeus made a weird noise of protest and Lucifer glared at him.

"Do you really want him to do that to you, Hades," Zeus asked me and my eyes flickered to stare at him, "This angel was desperate enough to wipe you off the planet to side with me."