Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

I woke up to the worst pain imaginable.

It was like Thor had taken Mjölnir to my skull. It felt like it was literally split open. I could even feel the sticky blood in my hair, running down the side of my face and down the sides of my nose as I laid on my side on a cold dirt floor that reeked of shit and other unmentionables. My whole body felt like it'd been dumped in a trash compactor and sent to "motherfucking destroy". I struggled to breath, a horrid weight pushing down on my chest, feeling like my ribs were going to crush my lungs. I swallowed against a horrible dry pain in my throat. I could taste blood there. I ran my tongue along my teeth, which felt like they'd been shaken loose by something, but they were all intact.

I managed to lick my lips open, breathing in reeking air. I forced my eyes open, grimacing at how much it hurt just to open them. They felt heavy and crusted shut. My vision was blurred and distorted. I saw something move in the dark as blue hues came into shape around me.

Thank the gods for night vision.

I blinked, watching everything around me take form once again in hues of blue. It took me a moment to realize I was facing the back of a cell. I frowned, confused when I heard movement behind me and a voice muttering.

"He's still unconscious." Was that... Was that Lucifer?

"So wake him the fuck up! This is his fault!" Another voice snarled, increasing the headache throbbing in my temples. It was enough to make me groan in pain, even more so when I recognized it as Seth's. What the hell was he doing here? And Lucifer? What the hell was going on? I managed to roll over, my night vision clearing slowly as light flooded in through the bars of a cell. I scowled as I watched Lucifer approach me, getting on his knees beside me to touch my head and I hissed the moment his fingers made contact with my head, causing it to throb all over again.

"Careful," Lucifer said gently, "Your skull was split open, but you managed to recover enough magic to heal it on your own. I don't recommend moving too much."

"Did I piss Thor off?" I mumbled, reaching up to wipe at my face to wipe the blood away. Lucifer gave me an odd stare and it wasn't until I squinted at him that I realized there was a severe bruise along the left side of his face, a cut in his lip, and his white uniform was torn and stained with blood and dirt. He took his jacket off and balled it up, lifting my head, making me hiss as he placed it beneath as a makeshift pillow.

"Why does it smell like shit in here?" I grunted, reaching up to touch my head again, but arm felt too heavy, so I let it smack into the ground again. Lucifer frowned and opened his mouth to reply when Seth came to tower behind him. He looked awful. His hair was a windswept mess, his eyeliner was thick around his eyes-- oh wait, no. He had a black eye. And there was a severe gash in his shoulder that was wrapped with strips of cloth made from a torn t-shirt and held together with strips he tore off the bottom of his jeans.

"This is your fault," Seth went off instantly, "What the fuck were you thinking? Did you think it was a smart thing to just go charging down here?"

"Down where?" I muttered dryly, cringing at the way his voice echoed back at us. Why was it so echo-y in here? Were we in a cavern?

Wait.

I stared straight up at the ceiling for the longest time before everything came flooding back and my eyes widened in horror. Oh, son of a fucking tree whore. I cursed, reaching up and ignoring the pain as I covered my eyes with my palms.

I am the stupidest god to have ever existed. No wonder everyone hated me. It was completely logical now. I was just bathed in stupid. An imp was ten times smarter than I was.