Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

I didn't sleep.

I couldn't sleep. My body wouldn't let me. Despite the exhaustion that wracked my body, now healed from the damage caused by the imprisonment in Tartarus, I couldn't bring myself to fall asleep. Lucifer had gotten closer over the night. The bastard tossed and turned like nobody's business. A few times, I heard him mutter, which just made it even more annoying. To make matters worse, his feet were icy cold and he kept brushing my leg with them.

My god, the angel was no angel. He was a Satanic beast that had no concept of personal space.

To make matters worse, Ambrosius kept getting up during the night to drink water or tinker with the television. How restless could one person be? Was Zelios the only one who slept silently? For a guy who just got his voice back, he was still as silent as ever.

And knowing that my sons weren't in a warm comfortable bed like their brothers just made the night all the more stressful.

I was relieved when I felt the tingle in my spine that indicated it was morning. I rose from the bed, and while I was exhausted from lack of sleep, I could feel magic pulsing through my veins. As a quick test, I went to the small bathroom, showered, then used my powers to change into my black battlesuit. Relief swept through me that it had not only worked perfectly, but I still had plenty of magic left over to go back into my palace and get my sons back.

Lucifer woke up next, showered, and seemed to have the same thought process as he changed into a white and burgundy version of Ambrosius's battlesuit. Once Zelios and Ambrosius were awake, I prepared the last of the nectar and ambrosia to hold us off.

"Please tell me you have a plan." Lucifer said as he took sips of his nectar and Ambrosius just stared at his glass as if he couldn't believe Lucifer could savor that shit. I frowned, gulping the rest of mine in one swallow, wiping the back of my hand across my mouth.

"Thanks to your icy cold feet," I began, making him scowl in confusion, "I managed to come up with a plan A and a plan B. Plan A is to take the back entrance. I'm not talking about that nifty one you used that Persephone showed you either, Zelios. I'm talking about my back entrance. One of the doors upstairs isn't totally a decoy. It leads to a room of three more doors, but one of those doors leads upstairs to a hatch in my bathroom. We'll take that exit into the palace and split up into teams of two. Because as much as I hate to say it, we can cover more ground that way, but I want everyone to stay in contact with these fun little toys." I opened up a drawer beside the sink and took out a handful of small ear phones with a coiled out microphone, handing one to each of them.

"Tuck it into your ear and when you want to talk, just reach up and hold your finger over the little button. This should give us the chance to talk to each other in case there's an emergency." I explained. Lucifer studied his piece before wedging it into his ear and uncoiling the mic to hover just over his lips.

"These look a bit similar to the cell phones that are popular in my realm." He commented. I gave him a dry stare.

"Maybe because I was the one who invented them."

"That's incredible." Lucifer complimented. I stiffened, unsure what to say to that. I blinked a couple times and looked away awkwardly, clearing my throat.

"Lucifer and I will hunt down the boys. Ambrosius, Zelios, I need you to get to my helm. I have it hidden in a vault in Persephone's garden, beneath the pomegrante tree. There's a button under the left arm of the fourth stone bench. Push it. The helm will be hidden beneath the tree in a small compartment. Use it to get out of the palace and meet by Charon's. Is that understood?" I demanded. Ambrosius looked startled by my tone, but Zelios immediately nodded. God, no wonder why I loved him. He always listened.