Squooz me, Avni?”

“Hm?” I turned. GAH! A tall man, who looked like one of those guys from tacky gym posters looked at me all dewy eyed.

“I am Prathik. Huv are yoo?” He asked with a squeaky voice.

THIS WAS THE GREAT PRATHIK?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

“Hi Prathik,” I tried my best to control myself from laughing at his face. “Nice to meet you,”

“My mudder had told that yoo ver coming today. She had also told me that yoo were, uh” He stammered, “very nice to look at.” He said, blushing like a little girl.

“Er, thanks Prathik. That is very sweet of you,” I said muffling my giggle.

“My mudder also said me-” a hysterical giggle escaped from me at his English, “That you were looking for a husband?” He asked, genuinely curious. “I was so happy to know that I was your first option”

“Oh is it?” I asked. Gosh, I was so ready to kill Ma and Ajji.

“You see, Avni,” He continued, “I will take very good care of you, okay? You will not have to work after uver marrej, becaaz I make enough for ten people in this house!” he said very proudly.

“Prathik-”

“Yes, Avni?” He looked at me with large eyes.

“Er, your offer sounds good. But I am so sorry, I will have to decline,” I said, literally dying from controlling my laughter.

“But why, Avni? We vil be very verrrrrrry happy together!” He said.

“On the contrary, we are very different people, and I think our marriage won’t be a very happy one,” I said, trying to make him see sense.

“We vil go to Svizzerland, Paris, where ever you want!” He said quite desperately.

“I’m sure. But I don’t think I can make you happy!” I said, raising both my hands in frustration.

He didn’t seem to understand what I was saying.

“Look, Prathik, I don’t think I am the right match for you. I’m very sorry. I hope you find someone soon. All the best.” I said and made my way downstairs as I covered my mouth with my dupatta to hide my giggle.

Ajji and Ma looked very comfortable in their chattering, but got up once they spotted me.

“Veena, Avni’s back. We will take leave,” Ma said.

“Avni, you met my son?” Veena aunty asked.

“Oh yes, Aunty. He is very sweet,” I replied very sarcastically.

I caught Veena aunty giving my mum an assured look, to which my mum smiled back.

“Prathik is very accomplished, na Avni?” Ajji asked once we were home.

Once I briefed my dad about whatever happened, “What are you two up to?” I asked Ajji.

“Nothing! Veena wanted to meet you, so we took you along!” Ajji said very innocently.

“Prathik proposed to me! And honestly, if you two are trying to set me up with such strange men, I’m sorry, I’m not interested!” I shouted.

“Avnu, they were just trying to humor Veena, let it go,” Dad said, looking very amused.

“Why should we let it go, Avnu? We want to see you happy and settled. Is there anything wrong with that?” Ma asked.