7: Safe&Sound

EDITED.

Chapter 7

One Month Later

Life couldn't be more perfect these days.

I was on the verge of submitting my set of designs for the season's collection at my company Agni.

Bhavna was going to begin her second trimester and was invited by my clan to spend the rest of her pregnancy with us. Adi was invited too, of course.

Shruthi, Dhyaan, Ishaan and Aanya had moved back to Bangalore after a two year stay in Mumbai. Rutu and Naina were overjoyed because they could spoil and pamper Baby Aanya to their heart's content.

Sid was well, being Sid, I guess. Ridiculously funny, sometimes over smart and was fully determined over the last few weeks to set me up with Vihaan.

I for one, was used to his antics, so I happily ignored them.

Speaking of Vihaan, both of us had become very close in the past few days. He had opened up to me about his life and helped me through some really bad days. He always made me smile.

At a time like this, I was so glad to have a friend like him.

Life had pretty much gone back to normal. I was finally healing from my break up and set everything right. I was embracing the single life with open arms.

On a lazy Sunday like today, I was happily listening to music and wasting time, when I received a message.

Aarav: Are you home?

Me: Yes.

Aarav: Your family?

Me: Them too.

Aarav: Great. Open the door.

This was the first time I had spoken to him after the break up.

What?! He had come home? I hurried downstairs and swung the door open to see Aarav standing just inches away from me.

"Hi!" He said with a bright smile.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, panicking.

"I told you I'd be ready one day, didn't I? Today is that day."

It was too big of a surprise for me to even react.

"Avnu, who is it?" Ma asked as she approached the door.

"Hi Aunty. I'm Aarav, a friend of Avni's." Aarav said politely and held out his hand.

"Hi! Please come in." Ma replied.

Aarav yanked at my immobile hand and dragged me into our living room. The rest of the family were all there, spending their evening together. They didn't seem interested by the fact that an unknown man had waltzed into their home, uninvited.

"You need to be here when I speak to them, okay?" he whispered.

"What are you going to say?" I asked, getting a little anxious.

"The truth."

"Who is this young man, Asha?" Dad asked, finally noticing the extra person in the room.

"Hi Uncle, my name is Aarav Singhal. I'm Avni's boyfriend. And I have come here today to ask for your permission to marry her." He said confidently.

My dad quickly stole a look at me through the corner of his eyes. Ajji however looked completely unconvinced.

"Is it true?" Dad asked me.