11. A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words

Lunch was over and Dinah and Camila were taking a slow walk to their next classes. They were both generally model students so being a few minutes late after the bell wouldn't do much harm, especially as the lesson rarely got going so early anyways. The pair were just talking about the day they'd had, Dinah talking about her crushes, and Camila complaining about their teachers. Camila almost had herself convinced that none of the outside drama had ever happened. Elliot would walk into next period. Lauren would text her in between classes. There would never have been a to-let sign plastered to the front of her home. Things were like they should be; normal.

"Hey Dinah, Hey Camila, I missed you guys!" As the two girls turned the corner to a long hallway filled with pep signs, lockers and notice boards, they ran into the usual third of their ensemble, Ally. The short girl was a walking ray of sunshine.

"Hey Ally, I know I'm sorry we haven't all hung out in a while." Camila apologised, giving the smaller girl a quick hug.

"Watchya got there?" Dinah asked Ally, noticing a large stack of flyers in her arms.

"Oh it's for this day centre I have a part-timer at. They're in a little bit of trouble with funds and under staffing, so i'm posting these round school and town." The chipper girl replied, handing them each a print out. "We're hoping for some donations or volunteers. I don't suppose you guys have any free time to come help out?" Ally asked with a hopeful smile on her face

"Oh Ally, I'm really sorry, but right now i'm so busy. You know how it is with all the kids at home, and I've already missed three dance practices in a row." Dinah apologised sincerely, with a sad smile, "But I will glady hand some of those flyers out for you." She offered. Camila instantly filled with guilt for roping her closest friend into this wild goose chase, and taking so much of her time, because despite how busy she was of course Dinah still made time to help her best friend.

"Don't worry about it Dinah, I totally understand. But yeah that would be great, and help enough." the shorter girl said, handing Dinah a short stack of papers.

"Hey Ally I'll come by and help out, just tell me when and I'll be there." Camila said, realising she had to put her time in something concrete, other than wild conspiracies. Something that could actually help someone out.

"Really? That's great! How's today straight after school?"

"I'm good with that."

"Awesome, meet me after last period, I'll drive." Ally said with a wide smile, before saying bye to the girls and heading off, down the corridor.

Camila and Dinah also parted ways to head off to their respective classes for the rest of the day.

Camila was just about to get to the next class when she ran into another friend.

"Hey Lexa, can I talk to you real quick?" The taller girl seemed really irritated at the question by her stiff body language and furrowed brow.

"I gotta get to class Cabello." The other girl responded coldly, "So do you."

"It'll only take a minute, Woods." Camila said mocking the green eye'd girls retort, becoming a little irritated herself.

"What's it about?" Lexa asked with a sigh that made her unwillingness to the conversation evident.

"I just wan't to talk to you about Lauren Jauregui, I know you to were clos-"

"Whatever you know is wrong. I'm late for class." The wavy haired brunette interjected, before storming passed Camila, and out of sight.

_____________

The drive to the day centre that Ally worked at was short, located right on the edge of town. Ally truly was the definition of sweet. She use to volunteer her spare time helping out, coordinating activities, helping in the kitchen, and even cleaning, up until they offered her a position. She still does all that, but now she get's 6 bucks an hour.

When the two entered the building Camila noticed one boy sitting at a table covered in paint, who completely lit up at the site of Ally. The old over girl walked to the table and sat down to talk to the young boy. He must be around 12 or 13 years old. Camila stayed put watching the interaction.

"Hey Mikey, I like your painting today." The two shared short exchanges as the boy painted on a canvas that Camila couldn't see. "Do you mind if I introduce you to my friend, I think you'll like her." The boy nervously looked over at where Camila was standing before timidly nodding to the proposition. Ally got up from her seat to go bring Camila over.

"This is Mikey, come on over, you'll be amazed at some of his artwork."

"Wait Ally, before I go over there, should I know anything? Like what's wrong with him?" Camila instantly felt her cheeks flush at that last part, "no that's not.. I didn't mean it like.. I just meant-"

"There's nothing 'wrong' with him. He's just a little different to you or I, he's on the spectrum. Just try not to be too loud, and don't respect his space, that's all." Ally interjected.

"I'm sorry, I really didn't mean it that way," Camila apologised, feeling really stupid with herself.

"Often the most support the people that come here need, is just a bit of normalcy and structure to their day, and an opportunity to be less isolated." Ally continues, "That's something Mikey really needs right now with the situation with his brother and everything."

"His brother?" Camila asked.

"Mikey's brother is Elliot, the kid from school that's missing."

The girls walked over to the table Mikey was sitting at alone.

"Mikey, this is my friend Camila." Ally introduced.

"Hi Camila." Mikey greeted, avoiding eye contact.

"I was just telling Camila how great of an artist you are, can she see some of your work?" Ally asked. The younger boy smiled at Ally's compliment before setting his brush down and turning his easel to showcase his painting to the girls.

Camila was amazed. The piece was exceptional for a kid his age, but what really struck the girl was not the brush technique or the colour saturation. Recognition flickered over the younger girls eyes, at the wavy brown hair and green eyes of the figure in the painting.

"Who is this girl, Mikey?" Camila asked.

"She's the girl I saw kiss Elliot. Elliot is my brother, they say he's missing but it's okay, I know he's with her." Camila and Ally were both taken aback by this.

"Mikey," Ally asked cautiously, as to not upset the younger boy, "When the police were at your house, did you tell them this?"

"Yeah I told them about it, I even drew her for them but then this lady came and told me It was just a dream, because how else could her eyes glow." Ally seemed satisfied with the answer but the turmoil inside Camila was growing. Camila took a photo of the boy's painting while Ally was distracted with conversation.

"Oh gosh Ally, I'm so sorry but I totally forgot I was suppose to help my mom out with Sofi today, she's probably still waiting at her school for me." Camila lied, "I'm so so sorry, I'll make it up to you."

"No, don't worry. I'll can drive y-"

"You don't need to do that Ally, stay, they need you. I'll uber." Camila said with a sad smile, abandoning her friend.

If this day taught taught Camila anything it was, firstly, she is an actual asshole. Secondly, if anyone knew anything about Lauren and where she was, it was the girl in the painting. Lexa.

___________

A.N: firstly - want to apologise for lacking or whatever.. life is hectic rn, and I dont even ship camren anymore lmao. But i gotchu guys.

Another short one but since it's been so long since I've posted regularly, I figured this story would do better with more frequent updates, which also means shorter parts. 10-15 was all one but it seemed like a better idea to split them up, that's why the time frame may seem a little hectic and short..

It shouldn't be too bad, this is the first time I've had such a cohesive thought in a while, and from part 10 onward is a COMPLETELY different story to other story path to the one I originally had when I began this fic. So this is a freshhh idea.