Chapter 11

*Jack's POV*

It's been a week since we all visited the beach together. I'll admit, I've been quite cold towards Kathryn lately, but the way she led me on was just... It's something I'd never expect her to do. I believed she was different. I believed that I was in love with the perfect girl, but she's just like every other girl in school. I just can't believe she managed to fool me for so long...

Tonight, I'm staying over at Alex's. God forbid I have to talk to that two-faced player tonight. But Alex has been trying to convince me that I've got her all wrong. Kathryn and I were never going to happen. He said so himself. Alex tried to warn me about her obviously and I was a fool not to listen. 

When we arrive at Alex's place, Kathryn is nowhere to be found. Alex says she's in their room studying or something and we can sleep in the lounge room if I want. But before he even lets me decide, he takes me into his father's study for a moment. He says he has something important to show me.

"This is really bad of me but I have to prove to you that she really does like you, Jack. Especially if you're not gonna take my word for it." He says as he tosses a book onto the table. I stare at it, confused, before reading the cover.

'Kathryn's Diary ❤ keep out!' 

"Woah, Alex. I'm mad at her, but not this mad." I say. This is Kathryn's diary. Reading it would be taking this to a whole other level and it's just not worth that. I don't hate her. I'm just angry at her.

"I'm not letting you read the whole thing. Let me read you a few pages. Please? Just to let me prove to you she does like you." he pleads.

"Alex. No way." I say firmly.

"C'mon Jack. I swear, it's only like, two or three pages. Please? It won't take long."

I sigh in defeat. "Fine." I take a seat and listen as he clears his throat and begins to read from Kathryn's diary. I feel as if this is wrong.

'Dear Diary,

Today, I think I've met the most wonderful person. He's my cousin Alex's other friend. His name is Jack Barakat. He's really funny as well as cute and he calls me "Little Red" because of my hair, of course. He's really sweet too. He let me sit in his seat on the bus, He's really funny. He reminds me of Jono and that's what I love most. I hope I get to know him more. He seems really cute and nice.'

Alex stops there, as I assume that's all she's written about me. "Wait, who's Jono?" I ask. Alex pauses for a moment, hesitant to answer me. "That's something you'll have to ask her for yourself. Let me continue." he says. And so he does.

'Dear Diary,

Today, some jerks knocked over my lunch as I was walking. I was pretty upset, because it was pizza today. I was looking forward to it. Then Jack shared some of his with me. It was a really sweet thing for him to do and it just makes me love him even more. Everyone knows how much Jack loves pizza. And he shared it with me. He's so sweet. And when it got colder after school and I regretted not bringing my jacket, Jack let me wear his jumper. Honestly, this crush I've got on him isn't just a temporary schoolgirl crush. I am actually in love with Jack Barakat. I love his smile. His eyes. His laugh. His humour. His voice. Even that oversized nose of his. It's adorable. Jack Barakat is adorable and I'm in love with him. I honestly don't feel as if there is any way for me to possibly deny the fact that I love him. I just hope the guys don't pick up on it. There's no way in hell he likes me back. He's into pretty, blonde, cliche girls. Not me. But that doesn't stop me from liking him. I hope one day I have the courage to tell him how i feel.

Love, Kathryn x'

Was what Alex was reading me legitimate and true? It couldn't be. Why did she reject me at the campfire? Why did she turn me down in front of the guys but not when it was just us? I don't get it.