Where We Begin (Part Three)

Title: Kids Don't Want to Come Home

The next day, Virgil was exhausted. He was drained between meeting his soulmate and staying up until 2 A.M. doing nothing. He knew he should fix his sleeping schedule, or at least go to bed before midnight most nights but that took a lot of effort he just couldn't find in himself. He looked at the time and bounced his leg up and down. B lunch was starting in a few minutes, and his current teacher was going to be sending them off soon. He rubbed his hands on his pants, gripping his knees. He shouldn't be so worried, it was just the soulmate who had already witnessed him having a panic attack anyway. That was Virgil's first impression, anyway. Logan's view of Virgil is already set in stone regardless.

As his teacher told them they could leave, Virgil got out of his seat and took deep breaths as he opened the door. He walked through the halls at what he hoped was a normal pace. He gripped his backpack strap and noticed Logan standing by the microwaves awkwardly. Virgil took another deep breath in and made his way over, having to slide through some students that were taking up the pathway. He nearly ran into someone and only avoided it because of his quick reflexes. Refraining from putting his head in his hands in embarrassment, he finally reached Logan.

He awkwardly stood there and waited for Logan to notice him for a moment, adjusting his backpack once again. He rocked back and forth on his feet and decided that maybe he should just clear his throat so its less awkward for him to be just standing there and not talking to Logan-

"Oh, hello Virgil. Good morning. I didn't see you before, I apologize," Logan said as he turned and face Virgil.

Virgil waved and cleared his throat. "Do you want to go sit down, or something?"

"Yes, that would be ideal. Do you know where your friends are sitting at the moment?" Logan asked, pushing up his glasses and grabbing his backpack off the floor.

"Um, no I don't know exactly but we usually sit at the end of a table that's closest to the hallways so it shouldn't be too hard to find them," Virgil commented, slowly walking towards the other end of the cafeteria. He probably just should have asked Logan to meet him somewhere closer to the side they usually sat on, but Virgil knew that the microwaves were easier to find and more of a landmark than anywhere else.

He stood tall for once, ruining his bad posture and looking for Gregg and Angus who were surely already seated. He found them quick enough because their lunch was surprisingly not too crowded. Virgil looked behind at Logan, making sure that he was following Virgil. He hesitantly looked forward and as he got to the table, sat down at the end. Logan pulled out a chair next to him and sat down.

"So, Virgil! What's it like to finally have found your soulmate- er-" He lowered his voice "-one of them?" Gregg asked as he used his free hand to bite into his sandwich, the other holding Angus's own hand.

Virgil silently gave Gregg his typical 'that is an out of bound question' look, but responded regardless. He didn't want Logan to get the wrong idea about how he felt about soulmates.

Virgil shrugged his shoulders, "Well, I only met him yesterday do not a whole lot has changed. It is- Yeah. Its cool."

Virgil side glanced at Logan, hoping he didn't notice the way he had bit back his tongue so he didn't reveal too much at once. Even if they were meant to be together, Virgil wasn't going to tell him about all his worries after knowing each other for one day. Besides, someone could overhear what he was going to say and use it against him or ask questions and get more to use against him. He didn't want that for him, or Logan.

"I have to agree with Virgil. Soulmates have been an interesting concept to me for some time, yet I had not had my own yet. It is fascinating how soulmates are actually a thing, truly. They should be statistically impossible, yet here we are, all having soulmates. I am truly interested in how Virgil and I's relationship will develop, among other things. I would say more on the subject but this is... obviously not a good setting to be talking any more in depth than I already have. My apologies," Logan explained. Virgil watched him as he spoke, and noticed how one arm was on his lap and the other was on the table, his elbow propping it up and his hand making gestures as he spoke.

"It's fine, don't worry about it. I mean, I am definitely excited for Virgil! I've known Angus for so long and Virgil has always been third wheeling with us but now he doesn't have to anymore! That's super cool," Gregg said.

Looking up, Virgil glared at Gregg, but halted when he heard a soft chuckle coming from Logan. He was shocked to say the least, Logan did not seem like one to laugh at something like that but what Virgil could admit was that it was kind of cute.

"I suppose being a third wheel is better than having no friends at all," Logan commented, pushing up his glasses.

Perhaps, Virgil thought, he could get used to having Logan around. Virgil's small half smile appeared on his face as he watched Logan check the time.

"Virgil, I was meaning to ask if we could see each other outside school, seeing how it would be beneficial for our relationship, since we are soulmates. I believe it would be best for us to learn more about each other sooner rather than later because there is a large chance that we will be around each other for the rest of our lives, so it truthfully would be beneficial."

"Yeah, sure. I'll probably be free-" Virgil was cut off as music played throughout the cafeteria, signaling that it was time for everyone to change their classes. "Just text me about it, okay? I gotta get to my class, it's on the third floor and I don't want to be late, sorry. I'll talk to you late, Logan," Virgil said, standing up and putting his backpack on one shoulder.

"Okay, Virgil. I will make sure to share the information with you. Farewell, Virgil."

As Vigil made his way to chemistry, he felt proud of himself for surviving through lunch. He wasn't all that scared of getting to know Logan.