Part 30 - 1st October 1969

Start from the beginning

"If someone comes in, we'll get into trouble!"

"Not bothered. I think you need hugging!"

Smiling, she moved up to give him some room on the bed. He climbed next to her and wrapped his arms around her.
"How's that?" he asked.

"Wonderful!" Lucy looked up to him, "I've missed you!" She kissed him softly, a kiss he returned and then deepened.

They lay together, enjoying their closeness and talking about the fact that they were now prospective parents to twins. They discussed names with Paul being ridiculous suggesting Barnabas and Tarquin for boys and Doris and Bertha for girls. They lay giggling at the silliness, just enjoying being together. There was a sudden knock on the door and then it opened. It was Daniel with Lucy's grandparents.

"Dad!" Lucy grinned at him. "Hello!"

Daniel smiled at the couple's closeness. "You're looking brighter today love! That's good to see."

"I am thanks dad." She spotted her grandparents behind him, "Oh hello grandmother, grandfather." Paul began to scramble to his feet. "This is my fiancé Paul. Paul, these are my grandparents."

Paul held out his hand. "How do you do? It's nice to meet you." He smiled.

"So you're the young man who's caused my granddaughter so much shame!" Her grandmother snapped at him. She refused to shake his hand but turned her back on him instead.

"Grandmother!" Lucy exclaimed.

"Claudette, that's enough!" snapped Daniel. "Paul is a good man who adores Lucy. Drop this!"

Paul nodded his thanks to Daniel. He offered his hand to Lucy's grandfather. "How do you do sir." To his surprise he returned the handshake.

"Hello Paul." He replied. "Please, call me Henri. Daniel is right. All this nastiness isn't good for Lucy." He then said something in rapid french aimed at his wife. She replied, again in French then turned to Paul.

"I am sorry for my rudeness," she said quickly, "But I am only concerned about my granddaughter."

"As am I," said Paul softly, "I love your granddaughter very much. The pregnancy came as a shock to both of us but as we were already engaged, it just meant that we brought our wedding forward."

"And I love Paul so much," said Lucy, holding put her hand to him, "We're both thrilled about the baby too."

Paul grinned at Lucy suddenly. "Shall we?" he asked.

Lucy nodded. "Dad, Grandmother, Grandfather, Paul and I have something to tell you."

"Oh?" Daniel looked surprised.

"During the checks carried out on me yesterday, the doctor has found something....unusual."

"Unusual? In what way?"

"It seems," said Lucy with a huge grin, "that Paul and I are expecting twins! There's two babies!"

The three older adults stared in shock then suddenly Daniel began to congratulate them, Everyone seemed excited about the news and they talked about it together. Suddenly the door opened.

"Oh, I am sorry Lucy," said the same midwife from before, "But I need to do your observations."

"That's OK." Lucy smiled at her, "You lot go out for a few minutes."

"Can I stay?" asked Paul.

"I don't mind." said Lucy, looking to the midwife, who nodded.

"No problem."