EIGHTEEN

[ FURY ]

HALO DID NOT THINK TWICE BEFORE SHE LEAPT OVER THE RAILING

in her rage, she could not even see the body of han solo fall into the vastness of the oscillator. nor could she hear the sound of chewbacca's roar of anguish. she didn't notice the fire of blasters. all she could see was him. and all she could feel, was hate.

it bubbled inside of her violently, clouded her vision, tinged it in red. she felt a darkness grow inside of her, one fueled by pain and anger and loss and betrayal and all the things she had felt in only a moment.

she didn't remember igniting her saber. she didn't even see as chewbacca hit kylo ren in the stomach with a well-aimed shot. her stormy eyes watched his face, coated in tears, warped by the deed he had just done.

a cry of rage left her lips as she kicked him in the stomach, a stifled groan escaping his lips. she made sure to hit him right where he got shot. she wanted it to hurt.

he scrambled to his feet, igniting his scarlet weapon and hitting it against her own blue one.

she did not hold back. she pushed him all the way across the bridge, attacking with a ferocity she could never imagine. every strike weakened him even further. each time, her blade got closer and closer to his skin. she hardly even knew what she was doing. all she could think of was han. the way his life had ended, just like that. at the hands of his only son.

"i had no choice!" his voice was weak, weaker than she had ever heard it. but she didn't care. she wasn't interested in his excuses.

she seethed, her saber grazing the skin of his arm. he cried out in pain before turning to run, running from the oscillator as a coward would. but halo followed him. running as quickly as her legs could carry.

they chased each other through the halls, until they emerged from the base. all the world around them was in chaos. ships fell from the sky, the ground beneath them rumbled as the detonators they had placed exploded. but halo didn't see. she didn't care. she could focus on only one thing.

he turned to face her, his eyes wild and unseeing. tears streamed down his face, and blood spilled from his abdomen. for a moment, it was as if he was a reflection of herself. so much anger. so much fury.

she stared at him.

and then, she lowered her weapon.

she would not become the very evil she had sworn to destroy. she would never be like him. and slowly, the anger began to fade. and with it, came the pain.

her bottom lip shook as she watched him. he was breathing heavily, his face ragged with the gravity of his actions. she didn't know what to say to him. how could she tell him how hopeful she had been?