FOURTEEN

[ BETRAYAL ]

SHE AWOKE TO THE SOUND OF SCREAMS

in her sleepy state, she could hardly understand all that was happening around her. her wide and unseeing eyes looked helplessly around her tent, hand fumbling for her saber, but meeting nothing.

her heart thundered relentlessly in her chest. something inside of her ached, so deeply and painfully that she could hardly bear it. a whimper left her lips, hand clutching her chest. the force was unbalanced. too many were dying. something terrible was happening.

she called her saber to her hand, and when the cool metal met her fingertips, she threw herself out from her tent.

fires burned all around her. the temple in the north was crumbling, and younglings lay unmoving on the floor.

halo could hardly breathe. all the little children she had trained, all the young jedi who promised the future lay dead at her feet. she could not remember an act so evil, not since the time of the first jedi order. not since anakin.

she collapsed onto her knees, her hand stroking the face of a young boy, jinn. his crystal blue eyes stared unseeing at the stars. blood painted his colorless cheeks. there was nothing left inside of him.

a sob racked her chest. she crawled to the next body. a young girl, caska. and to the next, another girl, juno. she could not feel any life. they were all gone.

a searing heat blossomed suddenly across her back, the sound of a saber igniting hitting her ears. she knew then why all these things had happened. she knew at whose hand these children had died. she knew before she even turned around.

"no," she whispered, collapsing onto the damp ground.

"no."

a firm hand gripped her arm, and flipped her onto her back.

"halo."

she did not recognize the voice at all.

"no!" halo cried, kicking ben solo right in the stomach. in one fluid motion, she was on her feet, and her saber buzzed hotly against his.

"don't say my name," she growled.

his face was unrecognizable. there was so much anger. rage. darkness. this was not the ben she knew. this was the not the boy to whom she had given her love.

"halo."

a loud scream escaped her lips, and she hit his saber with an unmatched force. in her momentary rage, she had lost her senses. the world around her was blurred. she was confused. the force was leaving her.