A Teacher

"Always pass on what you have learned."

~Yoda

Rey

"Rey?" I looked up. It was Finn again. "The General wants to see you".

I jumped up quickly from my bed and followed him out of my room. We walked in silence down the corridor. "Just me?" I asked.

"No. Both of us". Finn still wasn't making eye contact with me. The last time we had spoken was when he'd come to check me after we landed. I wasn't sure why he had, it was barely a conversation, but maybe he had wanted to tell me what was on his mind. Finn was my closest friend, I had to find out.

General Leia was in the control room, talking with one of the other rebel leaders, a woman, in hushed tones. When we entered they stopped immediately and she turned and smiled at us. I smiled back at her, sensing her excitement and anxiety all at once. The other woman quickly left and the three of us were alone in the control room.

"So how was your trip?" She asked almost immediately. I realised then that she was anxious to hear about Luke. I sighed. "It was fine thank you General...I found Master Skywalker." I had expected her eyes to light up but her expression remained anxious.

"Why is he not here with you then?"

"He...refused to come."

The General slumped down into her seat and placed a palm on her forehead. She was still for a while and I could tell that she was in pain.

"General we tapped some First Order transmissions while we were out there." Finn cut in. "They've called back two of their fleets to their main base on Coruscant. We think they may be preparing for something, something big." The General looked up.

"Thank you Finn. I'll consult with the other leaders and bring this up at our next strategy meeting."

"Yes General."

"You can go now."

We turned to leave, but the General called me back. "Not you Rey, you stay." I turned back and waited to hear the automatic doors shut behind Finn. Then I approached the General.

She looked up at me with a regretful look in her eyes. "I'm sorry you wasted your time Rey."

"It's alright. I did not think he would want to get involved in...all of this." I replied.

"Yes, who can blame him. I suppose I was just being foolishly optimistic."

I looked at her and a deep sadness washed over me. She had lost her husband, her brother and her only son, and now she was more or less single-handedly leading the Resistance in a seemingly endless battle against the First Order, sacrificing her time and energy to keep the hope of many alive. Why was life so cruel to such good people? I couldn't help but think that the General would at least have a shimmer of joy in her life if Han was still alive.

Then I remembered her son, the one that had murdered his own father in cold blood, the creature behind the mask. The anger began to rise in me again but I took a deep breath. What's done is done.

"Don't worry Rey...we will find you another teacher, no matter what."

"General, with all due respect, you have a lot on your plate right now and I know that I'm not exactly a priority. I feel this is a journey I should go on my own."

"Rey what are you suggesting? That you go in search of a teacher by yourself? But we need you here." The General was tense.

"I am of no help here General, my powers are uncontrollable and unpredictable. I need a teacher." I insisted.

The General sighed deeply and closed her eyes for a moment in thought. I could predict her response even before she opened her eyes.

"Go. And be safe."

"Thank you General." I said with a smile, and left the command room.

I practically skipped down the corridors before bumping into Finn. He gave me a quizzical look. "And what are you so excited about? The general is promoting you?"

"Finn, she gave me permission to go and search for a teacher!" and maybe find my real parents too, I thought to myself.

"Oh that's great." Finn replied. He sounded genuinely happy for me. "But wait will you go alone?"

"I have to Finn, this is my fight. Don't worry I'll be safe."

He pulled me in for a hug and I buried my face in his pilot jacket. He smelt of dust. "I'm not going yet." I chuckled.

"I know...I'm just really going to miss you."

"I'll miss you too."