IV

Talk is Cheap

The four went their separate ways after realizing that they now had plans for the weekend. Hunk and Lance went back to their place while Keith stayed behind with Pidge as she changed.

"Come on, Pidge. You don't need to dress up." He said, rolling his eyes as he laid sprawled out on her bed. He scrolled through his phone lazily, probably holding it too close to his face. No wonder his eyes always hurt. He cleared his throat, that scratchy feeling still lingering.

"Oh just chill. I have time, I'm gonna look good." She said, still digging trough her closet. Green and mint colored clothes flew back as she dug.

"Whatever. Just look at me. I'm not wearing anything fancy." He said, gesturing to his simple gray T-shirt and black skinny jeans. He wore a red hoodie but it laid next to him.

Pidge glanced back at Keith, rolled her eyes, and went back to digging. "Mission failed. I'm wearing something decent at least." She said with a small snicker at the end.

Keith let the comment roll off of him, sighing hard enough to blow a bit of his bangs upward. His attention was caught by a small excited gasp. He turned his head quickly to the source, which was obviously Pidge.

"Perfect!" She said, holding up a black sweater and green ripped skinny jeans .

"You went through all that searching just to find a sweater and jeans?" Keith said, rolling over so that he was on his stomach and facing her.

"Hey, it looks good and keeps my preppy look." She said, pulling off her tank top and replacing it with her sweater. She pulled down her shorts quickly and pulled the jeans up. She turned to look in the mirror that hung on her closed door, turning and checking herself.

To a normal pair of friends, changing in front of each other would be weird or awkward.

But Keith and Pidge were just that close.

"Alright. I'm good." She stated triumphantly, plopping to the ground and pulling on green flats. "We can go over to Hunk and Lance's place." She stood, taking a few steps towards Keith and swiftly turning his phone off. He groaned, standing and nudging her as he walked towards her door.

"You got your suit on, right?" Pidge asked quietly.

"'Course I do." Opening the door, Keith was met by the scene of Pidge's brother and his friends. Matt was sprawled across a loveseat as he lazily scrolled through his phone. Allura sat on the sofa, messing with a makeup kit. She held it up next to the person next to her, probably think about colors or lipstick or stuff. The two sat extremely close to each other, Allura peering in that person's face. I didn't bother him at first, seeing as he only took a quick glance. But then he looked again.

But that person was Shiro.

Keith felt something inside of him break. He inhaled deeply as Pidge walked up behind him as he didn't move, watching the two.

Allura turned her head as she reached for her eyeliner on the coffee table next to her. She locked gazes with Keith for a split second before smiling widely. "Hi Keith! Hi Pidge!" She beamed in her usual bright and cheerful voice.

Shiro's eyes snapped open as Allura said Keith's name. "Ah.. Keith!" He said, turning away from Allura and to directly face Keith. He had a soft smile on his face, but Keith knew that there was a problem from his eyes.

Keith stopped in his tracks and watched Shiro stand, glancing back to Allura. "Hey, give me a second." He smiled.

"Oh.. alright." Allura shrugged. She returned to her makeup kit and began to to apply it eyeliner to herself.

Shiro turned back to face Keith, giving him a slightly sad smile as he took a few steps toward him. After doing so, Pidge suddenly took a step in front of Keith, seemingly blocking Shiro from talking to him. The action surprised Shiro.

..It surprised Keith too.

Shiro blinked a few times before confusingly tilting his head. The two locked eyes, Pidge glaring fiercely at Shiro, who gave her a nervous look.

The tension in the room seemingly rose as the two looked at each other, not saying anything. Allura stopped applying makeup to watch the two, a worried look replacing her seemingly permanent smile.

"Hey Pidge. Can I talk to Keith for a second?"

Pidge glanced back at Keith, who simply blinked at her. Keith could tell that she obviously didn't want to leave him alone with Shiro. Keith himself didn't really want to be alone with Shiro either. He sighed softly before reaching a hand out to rest it gently on her shoulder. He nodded at her, signaling that he would be alright.

Pidge's eyes narrowed as she searched Keith's face for an explanation. Unable to find one, she sighed deeply and stepped out of the way. She glanced back at Shiro, it seemed as if an ominous aura was surrounding her. He ruffled Pidge's hair before looking up to face Shiro.

The two's eyes locked for a brief moment before Shiro broke the awkward tension by smiling softly. "Well, Keith. Can I borrow you for a second?"

Every fiber of his being screamed for Keith to reject Shiro. Pled for Keith to forget him him and to give up, to let go of the feelings that Shiro had seemingly so easily pushed away.

But somehow, he nodded.

Soon enough, the two found themselves in the hallway outside of Pidge and Matt's dorm, leaning the walls of the hallway, one on each side. An uncomfortable distance between the two. After an awkward few seconds, Shiro cleated his throat. "Okay.. look. I'm gonna stop being awkward." A soft sigh escaped his lips. Keith turned to face him, crossed armed. The comment made some of the awkwardness and tension lift off of his shoulders.

"Why are you avoiding me?" Shiro stated frankly. Keith's gaze drifted back to the floor, the awkwardness returning.

"I'm not.. ignoring you." Keith said quietly. "I.. It's not intentional." He mumbled the last part, kinda wanting him not to hear it. It would've probably better if he hadn't heard it. No, it would've been better, period.

"..Keith." Shiro started.

"I'm not." He said with almost irritated emphasis on 'not'. "It's just.. I need space."

Shiro rubbed his neck again. Keith had noticed that it was like a habit. Whenever he was uncomfortable or feeling awkward, his hand naturally traveled to his neck.

"Maybe we do need space. Maybe we should just.. end this friendship or.. whatever this is."

A sharp, needle like pain struck Keith in his chest. Hand slowly lifting to his chest, he averted his gaze. "I.." He bit his lip after getting one syllable out. Was.. the hallway spinning? It was. To him at least.

And then everything went black.