One Way Out

Hey guys I wanted to get this out of the way up here. I am American. More specifically, I'm an American high school student. As many of you may know, school shootings are becoming more and more prevalent and that's really terrifying to people like me. So please, if you're in the USA, take a stand. If you're old enough to vote, vote! I can't vote, I'm not old enough, so please, use your voice to keep me and my friends alive. We're dying like flies and we're sick of it. This is just my opinion but help a girl out, ya know? Alright, enjoy the chapter!

John's POV

It had been a week since Alice and Olivia had been moved to the safe house, six days since we'd learned the identity of the skinhead. Everyone had been on edge ever since, even as the location of the Soldiers of the Superior came closer into view. We still weren't even close to sure, but the list of possibilities was beginning to narrow.

Sherlock was currently pacing the sitting room, muttering things to himself that I couldn't hear. Occasionally, he would come and lean over my shoulder, looking at the case board on the wall. I was standing in front of it, running over everything in my head.

Sherlock groaned in frustration, catching my attention. I looked over my shoulder, watching as he ran his hands through his raven curls. "What are we missing? Have we been missing something?" I asked. He shook his head, eyes turning to me.

"No. But it's exactly how Mycroft had said. This web has spiders and has been waiting a very long time for its flies. I'm sorry, John."

My brows knitted together, had he really just apologized? "For what?" One hand floated under his chin, the other crossing his chest. His gaze was watery, exhausted. We'd been working from sunrise to far past sunset, the hours of daylight now long gone. We'd visited Alice and Olivia, met with their guardians, and been working nonstop on the case all day. He had to be exhausted at this point.

"For dragging you into this!" He snapped, voice growing louder. "If it hadn't been for me, you could be living happily, maybe with someone else, but not in danger of terrorists for God's sake." I stepped back, stunned by his sudden outburst.

"Sherlock." He continued to stare hopelessly at the case board. "Look at me, Sherlock." I caught his elbow, forcing him to turn to me. His eyes were downcast, ashamed. "Love, why would you say that kind of thing?" He continued to stare at the floor, refusing to meet my gaze.

I brought my hand under his chin, gently prodding it up. "Look, I don't know what got into you to believe that kind of thing, but listen to me." His face softened, silver lining his eyes. "I love you, William Sherlock Scott Watson-Holmes. Dear God, that's a mouthful," he laughed, his hand coming to cover my own. "Nothing will ever, hear me, ever change that. Are things a bit rough right now? Yes, but I wouldn't change being with you for the world."

A tear slipped down his cheek, even as he smiled. "I love you too, John Hamish Watson-Holmes." I leaned in, brushing my lips against his once.

"How about we stop for today? We've been working all day, and we promised to be at Olivia's mini-concert at the house tomorrow, so we're going to have to get up kinda early." The corners of his mouth turned upwards at the mention.

Alice and Olivia were girls that liked to do things and go on adventures together, so shoving them in a house with a fairly limited walking area outside it wasn't exactly the best idea. They'd taken to going on walks around the garden area outside, and hosting mini-concerts indoors for their families and agents. It was silly, but good, just like teenagers are.

"I'm fairly thrilled for it, the third one so far, correct?" I nodded, chuckling. He leaned in, kissing me deeply. He pulled away, draping his arms around my neck. His head came down to rest on my shoulder as he wrapped me in a loose hug.