Chapter Six~Search And Rescue

I Like To Write In Graser's POV. I Don't Know Why, But This Chapter Is Stacy's POV:)

I needed a way to make money. I was down to about sixty dollars after stopping to buy soda. I was really starting to feel bad about practically stealing all of Graser's money. I didn't know how much money Graser had left. In fact, I didn't actually know what his original plan was before I tagged along. 

"I'm sorry," I say to him

"Why? For what?"

"For taking advantage of you. Taking your money and dragging you back."

"Stacy, I've done some research. I have quite a lot of money left. Actually, just enough," he smirks.

"For what? What did you do?" I ask, a little on edge.

"You'll see in about ten minutes." I didn't realize but I was literally sitting on the edge of my seat. I sank back and turned the radio up. I was thinking. I felt a little less terrible about myself for using all of his money up. I let the music surround me and fill my brain with its melody. It was I song I'd never heard before but enjoyed. I was tired, but held my eyes open, waiting for whatever Graser had done. He was full of surprises I was coming to learn.

"There! That's the surprise!" I looked around. There was a fancy restaurant, big building that I didn't quite know what it was, and a public park with at least twenty swings. 

"Please tell me you didn't spend your money on a reservation!"

"Nope!" He giggled in the way that made me laugh even if it wasn't funny.

"No!" I said, astonished. "You didn't! Wha...Really?" He just giggled again and pulled into the parking lot of the apartment complex. It was small, but we didn't need much space. After all, we had been practically living in a truck over the past week and a half or so.

The room was small, but I didn't expect anything fancy. There was a small kitchen, dining area, couch, and a bedroom with its own bathroom. I felt somewhat guilty but was too happy at Graser for it to matter. 

"Is one bed fine?" he asked. I couldn't tell if he was serious or joking but laughed anyway. 

"Are you kidding me? Of course, it's fine!" I said, going on my tip toes slightly to kiss him on the cheek. He stood there, scarlet in the face. I tugged him with me to go see the bedroom. 

"How much a month?" I ask, starting to feel the guilt. 

"Only four hundred ninety a month," he smiles. We were sitting on the couch. I moved closer to him. I felt we had a relationship that was confusing. I wouldn't call us a couple, but we were way more than friends. Graser got up and went to the bedroom. We both changed into our clothes we recently washed at a laundry mat with some of the change I had. 

I woke up in the middle of the night. I slowly wiggled my way out of the covers and got my phone. I searched for jobs nearby and filled out as many applications as I could. I had seven chances. Hopefully, one would be interested in me. I continued to look at places around here like grocery stores and clothing stores. I decided to put my jeans on and sneak out. Both Graser and I had a key, so coming back wouldn't be an issue. I wrote a post-it and put it on the fridge and left.

When I arrived at the general store at the end of the road, I looked over my list. Bread, Peanut Butter, Pancake Mix, Syrup, 2L Soda, Cups, Plastic Ware. Everything totaled to be about twelve dollars. When I came back, I put the food and drinks in the fridge and cabinets. I set an alarm on my phone to wake up and get pancakes ready as a thank you. 

Skip To Morning

"Good morning!" I say, nudging him to wake up. 

"What time is it?" he moaned, covering his eyes from the morning sun beaming in. 

"Pancake time!" He bolted up. I laugh and bring him to the dining area which is just two stools back to another side of the counter. His pancakes are drizzled with syrup like mine and we eat side by side. We were silent, eating away.

"Stacy, I...thanks," he said. As we've learned before, Graser is a crystal clear liar.

"What were you going to say?" After a short pause, he kisses me. I don't mean a little kiss on the cheek. I had my arms wrapped around him and his around me.  I still didn't push away from him. I let it go on and would. We both needed a breath and broke the kiss. Graser began to rush to the bedroom.

"Graser! Where are you going?" I ask, following behind him. 

"Stacy! I need you! I took my last pill yesterday! I'm out. I'm not myself!" he shouted. His last sentence shattered my heart. I'm not myself. So that kiss wasn't you? 

I put my selfishness aside. "I'm right here. It's going to be ok." I pull him down to sit next to me on the bed. "As long as you don't let go, I won't," I say, holding his hand.

"Trust me, I wouldn't dare."