Chapter 4: Naomi

I let my eyes wander around the room inconspicuously. A few tables away was a young woman whose fair skin, brown curls, and radiant aura shone brighter than the midday sun. Towering beside her was a man. He had coffee-bean skin with ethereal cheekbones cutting through his face. My eyes were glued. There was a faraway look in his eyes. He peered up then, and my heart nearly jumped out of its chest.

I averted my gaze.

Aside from the overwhelming number of attractive people in this diner, it all appeared normal. It just didn't feel that way. Keyana had brought me to a place where the people were as alluring as they were lethal. A room full of people who hid their vicious nature with charm and magic.

But, how and why did I know that? I rubbed my temple, a memory was taking over.

                                                                              ****

"Nana!"

She smiled sweetly, "Yes, dear, what is it now?"

"I did it."

She patted my shoulder proudly, "What did you see?"

"A lot of colors. Blues, purples and pinks in the sky. The land was free and no one owned anything. They borrowed, and they shared what they had."

Mama must have overheard because she walked over to us laughing as she said, "I think she visited Kimoro. What do you think, Nana?"

"Kimoro wasn't so colorful but they did share everything, even the clothes off their backs for a fellow man. I think our special girl has gone somewhere we have not been."

Ma cocked her head uncomfortably, "Are you saying what I think you're saying?"

Granny nodded, "She is more powerful than the both of us combined."

Ma shooed me to the door, pushing me out into the backyard, "Go to the sandbox and play. I'll come and get you for dinner."

I walked to the sandbox as the evening sun washed over my skin. I could hear my grandmother and Ma bickering from the kitchen. Angry words were thrown around. I even heard my name a few times. Their voices reached a crescendo, then it was silent. My mother must have had enough and walked away because she never came and got me for dinner.

My grandmother gave me a warm smile when she saw me sitting at the base of the stairs. She knew I had been eavesdropping but she encouraged my curiosity.

"Come on in, dear. Let's get you something to eat and ready for bed."

"Granny?"

"Yes, dear?"

"Why is mommy mad at you?"

She chuckled, "Because she fears what she cannot understand and I am inspired by it."

I smiled, "Granny, can we travel after dinner?"

"Eat your food, and we will figure out where, together."

I gasped excitedly, "Kimoro! We can visit Kimoro."

"Perhaps, dear," She patted the chair next to her. "It could be Kimoro but I believe it is a new place you've discovered on your own."

My adolescent self squealed in excitement, "Really?"

"Mhmm, but I need your help to show me the way. Can you do that?"

"Yes," I grabbed ahold of her hand and closed my eyes.

I imagined the colorful skies and fresh atmosphere I'd felt when I stumbled upon this place in a dream. I tried to materialize the sensations that came with being there. Crystal clear oceans, paper white sands and the sweet souls who roamed this paradise. Soon enough, I felt the breeze on my skin. My toes sank into the sand and purple seagulls soared the sea. I gasped in wonder. The sky had swirls of orange and pink. I hoped Nana was seeing this.