Chapter 5: Blood Bonds

I woke up startled and gasping for air. My gaze traveled down to my body, which was still intact. I checked for bruises, cuts, and bite marks. 

I found nothing. I'm still alive? 

Then the memories of what happened came back all at once, "Shit."

 A laugh interrupted my pity party. I gasped. My eyes widely searched around the room. 

 The hair on the nape of my neck rose, "Who's there?"

 No response. I ripped the covers off me and stood. In any other circumstance, I would've been intrigued by this room. A bed was arranged in front of the living area furnished with an L-shaped sofa and gaming consoles attached to a large flatscreen T.V. 

The room was dimly lit, save from the light from the lone window, I tentatively walked over to the lamp in the corner. I inched closer and paused as my toes settled onto the velvety, silk carpet. 

This was luxurious, I thought. "Do you like what you see?" 

 Gah! A shiver went through my tense shoulders. I ran back to the bed as uneven breaths wracked my body. 

"What the fuck?" I was seething. 

"Excuse my manners," Another chuckle. "I should apologize." A voice as deep as the ocean filled my ears. The man appeared from the shadows, his calculated movements stopping several feet from the bed. 

I squinted to see. 

 It was Israel, from Keyana's diner. "Damn you," I let out a breath and released my grip on the comforter. Just as quickly I crossed my arms, "I'd like to hear more about this apology?" 

He laughs again. This time the sound sends butterflies to my stomach, "Naomi, I sincerely apologize for frightening you." 

I bit my lip, suddenly aware of how relaxed he'd been, "Is something funny?" 

This massive man stepped closer to the bed. I held my breath. Israel soothed, "Not in the slightest." 

He stood inches from the frame of the bed. I rolled my eyes, unconvinced, "So, why all of the laughing?" 

He hid a smile, "You amuse me." 

I stood up from the bed. Screw this guy, "I'm done with this." 

He furrowed his brows in confusion, "Done?" 

 Yes! Done. 

I continued on, "I appreciate you letting me stay here while I rested." I gestured to the crown molding, it divided the ceiling into squares, the white frame intricately designed with gold flowering. 

I cleared my throat, "This room is truly enchanting, but I cannot be here. I need to get back to my dorm, I have assignments to finish."

I held the bridge of my nose, "My midterm is due in less than a week." 

His eyes travel to mine, those brown orbs sending warm sensations to my insides, "I can have one of our architects design a room of your own if you'd like?" 

"You've got to be kidding," I break away from his eye contact. "Where's my phone? My friends and family are probably looking for me as we speak. " 

He put his hands up, "The architect isn't required. Nevertheless, the dorms are no longer a viable option. We will move your items to Jua Kupanda where you will be safe in the Palace." 

 "What? No," My jaw fell slack, "No. What are you talking about, Israel?" 

 He sat down, "You should sit."