Part 23

Part 23

"If your mother is here, why are you locking the door?" I asked as soon as Dash jumped on my bed. I cried internally as he messed up my perfect bed.

"Because I do not want to see her. So we are hiding," he answered, grabbing a pastel blue pillow and placing it on his lap.

I raised my eyebrows. "What kind of a stupid answer is that? And why are we hiding? I want to meet your mother."

"Trust me, chocolate chip, she is not a pleasant woman. She reminds of an evil witch at times," he replied.

"That is no way to speak about your mother!" I chastised. What would I do with him? I had to teach him to respect everyone.

"It's the truth. And I will not sugarcoat it for her sake. I hate her," he spat, irritation flashing in his eyes.

I rolled my eyes before taking a deep breath. My boyfriend clearly had some serious issues with his mother. And even though I didn't like it, the truth was, it was none of my business. This was Dash's life and his family. I could tell that he needed me to support him rather than tell him to make things right with her. I was his girlfriend not his mother, and I had to act like it.

"Alright, fine. Forget your mother. Tell me what are we going to do? Will we keep hiding here? You know we can't do that, right?" I said, going over to sit on the bed with him.

Dash sighed. "I don't know, shortcake. I just want to avoid her as much as possible. I don't know how we are going to accomplish that since we have to stay here for two days; which is a good thing because everybody else has to stay here for a week. So we just need to avoid her for two days, then we will be back at Burswick."

"Alright. So it's clear you don't want me to meet her. May I ask why is that so?" I questioned.

"Because she is not very nice. And she is...harsh to people. I don't want her to hurt you—in any way. So I will keep you safe from her," he responded, pinching my cheek, a soft smile on his face.

His words hit my heart. He cared so much about me that he was willing to keep me hidden from his mother because he was afraid she would hurt me. "Are you sure that she will hurt me? Maybe, she'll be nice?"

Dash let out a bitter laugh. "Believe me, chocolate chip, everybody in my family hates her. And she hates them all in return. The only person she is nice to is my father."

"Oh. That's...unfortunate," I concluded.

"She doesn't care. She doesn't care about anything or anybody. Her only concern is herself...And maybe my Dad, but I'm not sure," he ranted.

I placed a hand on his arm, trying to comfort him. "So, are there any secret rooms you know of that we can hide in?"

Dash grinned. "This is my home, shorty, I know every nook and cranny of this massive place. My mother never visits the basement, we can hide there."

"Basement? I don't like basements, Dash, they are creepy," I said, trying not to shudder at the image of myself hiding in a dirty, creepy basement.

"My basement is anything but creepy. You'll love it. It is my personal lair. No one is allowed to go there except me. And I usually hide there when I need to get away from people," he argued.

"Alright, if you say so. But if it turns out to be creepy I am going to make you dance like a ballerina to keep myself entertained," I warned him.

"You are so on. But if it's not creepy then you will have to kiss me in front of everybody at the Winter Formal," he threw back.

"Done! Let's go and check out your basement right now." Just as I tried to stand up, Dash pulled me back down.