twenty eight

July 17, 2017 ; Vancouver, Washington
Evelyn

Nova and Zach jump off the bus in front of me, their hands intertwined. I smile, watching as they greet Nova's parents.

"Slow poke," Daniel pokes me in the back as we start walking to where his family is gathered.

I slow down at his complaint, causing him to casually bump into me. I laugh as he punches me in the shoulder. We approach Mrs. Seavey, who Daniel immediately engulfs in a hug.

"Evelyn," Mrs. Seavey greets me after her son.

I smile as we hug, "It feels so good to be back home."

"I know. With you gone, I didn't have anyone to look out for other than Anna. When Daniel left, I could always kidnap you to replace him, but no such luck now," She jokes with a glint of joy in her eye.

"Hello, Mrs. Seavey," Corbyn shouts, and she laughs as he hugs her.

After our reunion, the seven of us head to Daniel's
house. I break off the group for a moment to return to my house, walking along the wooden floor in our kitchen and into our living room with my bookshelf. I tip toe, pulling down a notebook from the top shelf and flipping through it, reviewing the words.

Next door, the house roars with laughter. Tucking the notebook into my bag, I head next door to join the rest of the group.

"Says you," Nova shouts sarcastically at Jack, pressed against Zach's side on Daniel's couch, his arm wrapped around her.

"At least I'm not dating Zach," Jack retorts, causing Zach to snap out of his conversation with Jonah.

"Hey!" He shouts, only causing Jack to laugh.

"It's rowdy in here," I mutter with a smile and join Jack on the floor.

"You think?" He chuckles.

We spend the rest of the afternoon hanging at Daniel's house. As the five o'clock hour winds around, talk of going to a movie arises.

"You down?" Jack asks me.

"I actually have plans," I say quietly, a blush spreading through my face, "You guys go."

"You do?" Daniel asks from beside me.

"Yeah," I mumble under Nova's gaze.

"Fine," Nova voices up, but I don't miss the questioning gaze from her, "Everyone else down for a movie?"

"I'm hanging with my family tonight," Daniel responds while everyone else nods.

"Then, it's a plan."

. . .

I tug uneasily on the tight-fitting dress. In the mirror, my reflection seems distorted into a different person. The strange cake of makeup on my face paired with the figure-hugging—a figure I don't have—dress makes me wary. A mild headache batters my head as I head downstairs. Although Daniel has family dinner, he insisted on hanging at my house until I leave.

A few days ago, when I mentioned I was returning home, Cameron invited me to go bowling with a group of his friends, girls and boys. I accepted, and he offered to pick me up from my house.

"Hey," Daniel stands up from our living room couch, where he was typing on his phone.

"You look," He takes in my new appearance, "Different."

"Yeah," I'm hesitant, "Christina helped a bit."

I begin to pace uneasily, "God, this is all wrong isn't it? What am I doing?"

"No," Daniel stops me, pulling me into a hug, "Go have fun, okay?"

"Okay," I whisper as the doorbell rings.

A tall dirty-blonde figure waits at my doorstep. I smile bravely as the door opens, and the sight of the familiar boy makes my heart speed up.

Is this even considered a date? No, but you're hanging out with the guy you like. That's a step forward? Right?

"Hey, you look great," He smiles me before looking at Daniel, who's hovering behind us, "Oh, hi," Cameron greets in a friendly tone.

"Hi," Daniel awkwardly waves.

"Daniel, right? Daniel Seavey?"

"That would be me."

A wave of awkward silence overtakes the three of us. I snap out of my thoughts and turn to Cameron.

"Shall we get going?" I ask before shooting a smile at my best friend.

"Yeah, let's go," Cameron steps off the front step, "Nice to see you, Daniel."

"Bye, Ev," Daniel says as I exit the house, "Have fun."

. . .

The loud clatters seem to pound on my head as we enter the bowling alley. Right inside the front entrance, a group of familiar faces laugh easily. I recognize most of them from Cameron's large group of friends, most of them considered to be mildly popular. Five boys hover around a group of four girls, two of them I don't recognize and the other two are my lab partners from sophomore year.

"Hey," Cameron greets his friends with a slight lift of his chin.

Phoebe, one of my lab partners, waves. She's adorned in a dress similar to mine, accenting her figure perfectly, and I suddenly look down at the outfit Christina and I chose nervously.

"Gosh, Evelyn, I didn't know you were joining us. Cam said he was bringing a friend, but he didn't specify it was you," She pulls me into a too-friendly hug.

"I didn't know you guys would be here," I smile at Alyssa, who returns my greeting with a
tight-lipped smile.

"Let's go get our shoes," Cameron suddenly joins us, wrapping an arm around my shoulder.

After receiving our lane and starting the game, I feel my headache get worse. Pressing a finger to my temple as Phoebe chatters next to me, I wince at the pain. My phone buzzes, and I read the message.

Daniel
you good?

Daniel
dinner's too quiet without
you. promise me you'll
come have dinner tomorrow

Evelyn
i'm good

Evelyn
and i'm honored you
think of me. yes,
i'll be there tomorrow.

Daniel
yay i won't be
alone lol

Evelyn
i couldn't possibly let
you be alone for
another dinner now
could i?

"How's it going?" Cameron asks as he takes a sit beside me after his turn.

I glance at the scoreboard to see that he took first place, and naturally, I'm already behind him by a solid ten points.

"Good," I smile politely, ignoring my headache.

"Hey, so tomorrow the same group and I, plus a few people, are hanging at Alyssa's house if you want to stop by," Cameron shrugs, sipping his soda, "I'm sure they wouldn't mind."

Under my leg, I feel my phone buzz, signaling that Daniel just responded to my text.

"Thanks for the invite, but I have plans tomorrow. Maybe another day?"

"Yeah, sure thing. Just let me know when you're free," Cameron says with a smile, his eyes drift toward the board, "You're up."

I nod, snapping out of the slight daze I was in, "Right," I sigh, standing up.