four

June 20, 2017 ; Los Angeles, California
Evelyn

By the time we land in California, I'm exhausted. I spent the past few days preparing for the trip and have somehow avoided sleep. I tug my dark hair into a bun and shoulder my backpack.

"You look tired," Nova states.

"I am tired," I yawn on cue, "I'm not even sure why. I guess preparations for tours exhaust you."

Nova is still bubbling with excitement behind me.

"How do you have so much energy?" I turn around tiredly to her.

"I'm hype right now. Plus, I don't need to sleep."

I groan, "Oh no. Please don't keep me up on tour."

"Fine," She rolls her eyes jokingly.

We shuffle out of the tight aisle. People are scattered around the waiting area. Most people are asleep in empty chairs. Nova and I follow the crowd out to the baggage claim.

We wait patiently as the bags travel around the carousel.

"You finally get reunited with Daniel," Nova nudges me.

"I know, finally," I sigh, "I can't believe I'm going to be a senior."

Nova nods, "And I a junior. Completely insane."

"Totally," I step forward to lift my bag.

Nova heads toward a different area to grab her bag. We both pause for a moment to ensure everything is put together before we head outside.

one new message

Today 9:08 PM

Daniel
we're pulling into the
airport. see you soon :D

Evelyn
we're heading out.
see youuuu :)

Daniel
i can't believe after so
long

Evelyn
totally insane. pretty
excited

Daniel
aww me too. any minute
now

Evelyn
can't wait :D
read 9:10 pm

"Daniel?" Nova asks next to me as we walk outside.

I nod. My excitement grows as we step outside the baggage claim. I watch a few cars slowly drive down the narrow road.

Turning to the left, I suddenly spot a car nearing us. Someone is waving out the window, and I'm running down the curb, leaving behind my bag with Nova.

Daniel jumps out, and we approach each other slowly. His arms wrap around my waist, pulling me closer toward him. I tip-toe and wrap my arms around his neck.

"I missed you, Ev," He mumbles into my shoulder.

"I missed you too, Danny," I reply into his sweater.

We separate, and he stares at me for a long moment.

"You look different."

"Different is good?" I ask quietly.

"Yes, different is good," He wraps his arms around me again.

"Hey, Evelyn," Nova shouts from behind, "I hate to ruin the moment, but I kinda need help with your bags."

Daniel reluctantly unwraps his arms around me, "Coming!" I turn around, shooting a small smile at Daniel.

We carry our bags into the trunk and pile into the car.

"The famous Evelyn, alive and in person," Corbyn teases me from the passenger seat.

"That would be me. Nice to finally meet you, Corbyn."

Daniel, Nova, and I are squished into the back seat, shoulder to shoulder. I adjust a little bit and pull my seatbelt on.

"And, you're our new photographer?" Jonah asks from the driver seat.

"That would be me. I'm Nova," Nova smiles at Jonah, "You're Jonah, right?"

He nods, "Nice to meet you, Nova."

"You guys don't have to be so professional," Daniel jokes, "You're going to be spending the summer together."

We all laugh. Jonah slowly pulls the car away from the curb. Nova watches the lights pass by quickly.

"The city lights are so cool," She says quietly to me.

"Agreed."

Nova turn, once again mesmerized by the colorful lights that blur past our car.  I adjust in my seat for a little.

"You're tired," Daniel whispers quietly.

I nod, yawning a little. He smiles at me and turns toward the window.

I watch the scenery pass by. Slowly, I find myself drifting off.

Leaning onto Daniel's shoulder, I open my eyes for a second and he's looking down, smiling. Then, I'm drifting back into sleep.

. . .

"Ev," Daniel says gently, "We're here."

I open my eyes slowly and sit upright, "Thank you."

We arrive at the Why Don't We house about twenty minutes after leaving from the airport. Jonah pulls into the driveway, and we jump out.

I follow Nova to the trunk. She lifts our suitcases out the trunk, without realizing someone is behind her.

"I was going to offer to carry that, but it seems like you handle well," A boy says to her, "I'm Zach."

"Nova," She smiles, "And, I can handle carrying stuff," She pauses,
"Sometimes . . . barely."

We all laugh, "I like you already," He says before taking her suitcase into the house

Nova follows him. I follow behind her, carrying my bag.

I step into the doorway and look around.

"Pretty nice, huh?" Jack jokes. We've chatted a few times when I've FaceTimed Daniel, but I've never met him in person before.

"Absolutely. I just don't believe how you bought a house to move into," Nova chimes in.

He shrugs, "I'm eighteen. Plus, this is my career."

I laugh, "Fair enough."

"Jack," He offers his hand.

"Nova," She shakes his hand firmly, "Future photographer?"

"Ah, yes," He smiles before turning to me.

"Evelyn, though I'm pretty sure you already knew that," I joke.

"You ready for summer?" He asks Nova and I.

We exchange a look quickly, "As ready as we'll ever be," Nova chimes in.

I nod, agreeing, "As ready as we'll ever be."