Chapter I

There's little joy in life for me,
And little terror in the grave;
I've lived the parting hour to see
Of one I would have died to save.
-Charlotte Brontë (On the death of Anne Brontë)
****************************
I seem to myself, as in a dream- an accidental guest in this dreadful body.
- Anonymous
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Severus Snape opened his eyes, which were met with another pair of beautiful peepers. He had closed his eyes for the very last time while taking his dying breath at the Shrieking Shack, gazing at a pair of olive-green eyes, hoping only to see those same striking emerald eyes of his long-lost beloved on the other side. But now he woke up to a different pair of beige eyes, that were close to being hazel with concern as she stared down at him like a fawn. After the initial surprise and disappointment passed, all he could think of was the pain, that didn't even allow him to speak. He closed his eyes again in agony and could only groan like a wounded animal, twitching around in whatever hell-hole he was lying in right now. No, this cannot be heaven...there's much too discomfort and pain for that. And most importantly, Lily isn't here....

..........................................................
Hermione paced in the hall outside the room, anxiously biting her nails and fidgeting with the phone. St.Mungos' was full of patients who were critically injured and more were coming in all day, so Hermione had insisted on keeping Snape in her house to lower the pressure on the hospital somewhat, seeing that he wasn't in need of any medical assistance or to be put under constant surveillance. But she had been calling the hospital all day and she was afraid that Luna, who had recently become a healer, was going to snap at her if she disturbed her again. But she was willing to stomach all verbal abuse if that meant she could give the groaning man inside some respite from his pain. Although being a good friend that she was, Luna adressed Hermione with the utmost patience when she had to answer a call from her for the umpteenth time.
"Did the wardboys I sent from the hospital not reach your house okay?"

"Yes, yes they did. They managed to change his clothes all by themselves, I didn't even need to help." Hermione told her, "But, he looks like he's still in a lot of pain...Is there something I should be doing? Some drugs? Oh Luna, I'm just getting really worried..."

"I'm afraid we can't really do much apart from waiting for him to wake up. He is probably getting in and out of consciousness, that's why his pain is getting renewed. He is already under a lot of morphine. I'm sorry honey, but a higher dose might prove fatal."

"Uh huh. Right." Hermione glanced at the door as she heard his low scream again. "It's just that..I wish I could do more."

"Hermione, you've already done enough. You were the only one who went back to get him while everyone else was celebrating the great victory. It was a stroke of luck that he was still alive. The little life that was left in him was nurtured by your perseverance and constant care. It was a miracle that your antidote worked against the venom of Nagini. It would take sometime to get the poison completely out of his system. Give him time to heal."

Hermione thanked her again and disconnected the call. She didn't want words of praises now when all she could think of was the discomfort of the man just on the other side of the door, especially since her intention upon saving his life wasn't entirely selfless.
........................................................
Snape woke up again; this time his pain had much subsided and he could see clearly. Furthermore, there were no eyes looming over him blocking his view and he passed a glance over the room he had been in for the past how many days, he had no idea.