Chapter 24

It's reasonably clear weather as the Voltron Robotics Team walk into the competition venue, some ominous grey skies looming in the background.

"Thankfully, we've been separated from Galra Robotics, so we should be okay for-for another day," Allura sighs, rubbing her forehead. "When did I get so cowardly? I feel terrible. Can you guys go kick their purple-painted asses in Round 3?"

"We'll kick Zarkon so hard that he'll go into orbit," Keith mutters. "The rest of them will regret messing with you, Allura."

"I'll use my rocket blasters to burn a hole the size of Voltron in their robot!" Hunk cheers, grinning excitedly.

"You know it's serious when Hunk talks violently," Pidge quips. "Isn't that them over there?"

Standing at the entrance, intimidating as usual, are the Galra. Pidge finds the displays of hierachy disgusting. Haggar, Zarkon and some guy that wasn't there before, Lotor or something, are dressed in practically royal regalia while the rest of them wear a plain team t-shirt.

Wait...

Pidge's eyes land on a familiar bespectacled face in the sea of generic Galra.

He's wearing a flannel shirt tied around his waist.

Beezer.

Fuckin' Beezer.

Then, Beezer notices her staring, the look on his face surprised, then sinister.

Pidge's heart stops. Face pales. She starts sweating, honest to goodness sweating in outdoors December.

He's wearing the Galra uniform.

No...

"Pidge? Pidge!" Lance calls, gently tapping her shoulder.

"H-huh?"

If she were in her right mind, she would have snapped at him, but it comes out a lot more muted. Like she's dazed, as she stares in his eyes, the two of them positioned much closer than should be appropriate.

"We need to go now. Collect Voltron and all."

Beezer mouths 'wait' at her. It's hard to read what he's thinking.

Pidge glares daggers.

"Can-can you guys go on ahead? I know the way to the venue."

Lance opens his mouth like he's going to argue, but...he doesn't.

"Okay."

For a moment, his eyes flicker to Beezer, and Pidge's heart stops again.

But the unsuspecting Lance shrugs, turning as if he's about to go, but flipping himself back to face Pidge.

"Are you sure you don't want me with you?"

Pidge huffs out, keeping her eyes low and not allowing herself to lock eyes with Lance.

Totally not out of a fear of not being able to look away.

"I'll see you more tonight, if you haven't forgotten. I can handle myself," she answers, little pauses in between her words. Lance raises an eyebrow.

Neither realize that the rest of the team has already abandoned them and walked into the building.

"How could I forget?" Lance smiles softly, but it fades away. "I-I hope I can explain things better to you there. Just don't want to distract you during competition."

Finally.

Pidge wants answers. Pidge is Pidge, after all.

She always needs to know.