Chapter 6

Kara's pov:

Lena was rather quiet throughout the meal. We had just finished our mains and were waiting on our desserts. She seemed fine until Sam came over, and she growled... Going by her reaction she didn't even realize she had done it so Rao only knows what she was thinking about. Mind you she was quite blunt with Sam yet fine with mum and I. Could she have been jea- No, surely not, don't be silly Kara.

"So Lena, Kara. Just before we left your mother/Lillian and I, well, more Lillian, set a date for the wedding. It will take place 1 week from today. Your mother was rather certain that there was no need to wait-" Eliza begins.

"That sounds about right, now that my father is gone she has no reason to keep me around. Especially as 'I'm bad for business'" I say pretty much no emotion.

"She is your mother Le-" I cut Eliza off before she can finish.

"That woman is not my mother. She has always, excuse my language, treated me like shit. I am only Lillians daughter when it suits her, like today when you met her. That was her acting like a mother, that's how she was with Lex only nicer. She has put me in the hospital multiple times, she has forced me to bed with no food or drink, she threatened to have my birth mother killed if my father left her, she is most likely the main reason Lex is insane, she has taken everyone away from me, she also took me away from the one person that made me happy, the one person I could truly be myself with, the girl I lov-" I stop abruptly quickly glancing at Kara who's staring right back looking a little shocked. I avert my eyes so fast I think I may have whiplash. "-the girl that meant a lot to me, my only true friend, the only person other than my father that ever believed in me. She always tells me I'm not good enough... I'm not good enough" I whisper the last bit, I don't think she realised that her eyes had filled with tears until my mother wiped one from her cheek as she jumped slightly at the contact.

Lena cleared her throat and stood up, refusing to make eye contact with neither myself or my mother.

"I'm sorry. Excuse me for a moment, I need to go to the bathroom" she mutters just loud enough for us to hear and hurries away.

I sit there for a few seconds just processing Lena's little tangent.
"She almost said she loved the girl she was taken away from didn't she?" I ask my mother who has a sad look on her face.

"Yes dear, why?"

"Because I was her only friend in school and it was me she was taken away from..." I say, the realisation of Lena's words hitting me full force.

"I see. Well, in that case at least your feelings are not one sided" my mother says.

"Only she can answer that and Lena has never been one for sharing feelings. She thinks of herself as a burden. The only people that ever cared about Lena is Me, her father and her insane brother that now wouldn't hesitate to kill her. So that's only two people. One of which she barely saw and the other she hasn't seen in 8 years. I can't imagine how alone she was" I say sadly.

"So is what she said about Lillian true?" She asks.

"Yes. Lillian is horrible to her. I saw the bruises a few times myself although Lena tried to cover for her, she only told me because I practically forced it out of her. I'm not even sure Lionel knew the full extent of what Lillian has put her through"

"That poor girl. You told me your reasons for doing this and I suppose I now understand a bit better... Kara, she's been a while in there, maybe you should go check she's okay."

I stand not needing to be told twice, "Be right back"

Lena's pov:

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Why did you have to go and say all that stuff!? You pretty much just told Kara you were in love with her. I didn't love Kara back at school did I?

I mean I know she was the only thing I ever looked forward to seeing and I craved her smile and her laugh, god her laugh. Damnit. Just because I liked those things doesn't mean I loved her right? She was my best friend, why wouldn't I like those things, and just because I missed her when I left and it felt like my heart had been ripped in half and then burned means nothing, I'd lost my only friend, of course I would be upset.

It's not like I missed her touch, or the way she used to go out of her way to make me smile, or the way I used to get butterflies in my stomach every time she laughed at one of my bad jokes or the way she always stood up for me or the way I never wanted to be apart from her.

It's not like I wished for her arms to wrap around me whenever I was upset and tell me everything was okay and then kiss the side of my head like she used to.

It's not like I never dreamed for those same, soft, perfect looking lips to press onto mine at all. I never wanted that. Fine, maybe not back then but you certainly want them now.

Jeez, who am I kidding. I have always been in love with Kara Danvers. I may not have realised it back then but being here with now and seeing her flirt with another girl, I definitely realise it now. Typical, it's been 8 years so I doubt she feels the same.

Actually, I'm not even sure why she's marrying me...

"Lena," I hear an angelic voice call from in front of my cubicle. I wipe my face in case any tears had escaped and then unlocked the door.

Thinking of the devil, well, angel.

"Lena, it's been a long time but you know you can still talk to me right?" Kara says, a sad and concerned look in her eyes.

How can she still be so kind after all these years? Especially after I basically just bit her mum's head off. I can't bring myself to say anything.

"Well, if you didn't, you should. I did promise you I would always be here for you" she says crouching down in front of me and taking my hands in hers.

There's that electricity again. I can't help myself but look down at our hands, Kara does too. Its making my body feel so full of energy, so light and free, and as she looks back up and our eyes meet, it's like sparks and fireworks are erupting all around us and I can't look away.

I don't know how long we were looking at each other, it felt like hours but was probably only a few minutes. Kara cleared her throat and spoke first.

"So are we going to stay in here forever?" She says with a teasing smirk.

Ugh, that smirk. Seeing it after so long is incredibly refreshing, it's like it washes away all of my problems and I'm care free.

"Don't you like it here? I thought it was quite nice, all these womens phone numbers and squiggles decorating the walls. Such a beautiful cubicle" I joke.

Kara's smirk disappears and is replaced by her blinding smile, the one she always got when she was extremely happy or excited.

"There's my Lena, and as lovely as this toilet cubicle is, I'm afraid we have to finish dessert and get to the next destination. We have been here nearly an hour and a half"

"Your Lena?" I say raising an eyebrow and giving her my signature smirk, I remember her always blushing and stuttering whenever I did it, wonder if it still does?

Her face goes bright pink, check. "Uh, er, i-i uh, I m-meant like, you know, uh,-"

I stifle a laugh, yeah, it still works. I used to love listening to her ramble when she got nervous, most found it annoying but I always thought it was cute. I liked knowing I could make her nervous, in a good way of course.

"Kara, Its fine, I'm just messing with you" Is what I said, but what I wanted to say was "I've always been yours".

"R-right" she says smiling awkwardly.