Chapter 28 - No one Can Hear You

Start from the beginning

Speak of the devil, I jumped in shock as two hands came thumping down on my shoulders from behind me. I yelped and sprang forward as quickly as I could and heard sniggers as I did so. Spinning around, I was met by Kai's sparkling eyes, probing my own, laughter still shadowing them.

"Hey, beautiful." He winked and slung his arm over my shoulder, pulling me close to his side. I flinched but he ignored my reaction and pulled me towards the building. "Sorry if I scared you. Where's Adam?"

I swallowed but couldn't help but enjoy the fact that everyone left me alone due to Kai's proximity. I needed to be alone right now. The only person I wanted to talk to was Adam and he didn't seem to be coming in today.

That thought worried me down to the core but I refused to think the worst. 

I was just being stupid. People could have days off.

Adam would never choose to stay off with his dad, my thoughts haunted me and I scrunched my eyes up, allowing Kai to lead me, as I pushed the negativity away.

He was fine.

Adam could handle himself.

There'd be a logical explanation.

Maybe it was me...

My heart sank at the thought. Was he getting second thoughts? Did he not like me anymore? It would explain why he left and why he was avoiding my calls. 

I rolled my eyes and mentally slapped myself. I was just overthinking, like I always did. I had to stop it.

"Megan?" Kai's voice returned back to me and I jumped, realising that I hadn't answered his question.

"Oh...um...he's probably just having a day off." I said quietly and Kai chuckled as he pushed me down the hall towards my class. I actually couldn't wait to get into psychology.

Maybe I'd just completely missed Adam and I was worrying for nothing.

"Are you okay?" Kai asked and his voice softened slightly. I had to look at him to see if he was being genuine and, from the way he looked at me, it seemed to be true. 

I nodded and gave him a weak smile. 

He smirked back and bumped my head with his own. "I hope you enjoyed your day off. I think we found something and I really need your help tonight."

I could feel my heart squeezing with fear and my throat lodging with some imaginary stone and I nodded quickly, trying to hide my panic. "Okay."

"Good stuff." Kai twisted around to face me as he reached my class and then smirked and cocked his head to the side. "I'll meet you outside after class. Come and find me."

I swallowed and nodded.

Before I knew what was happening, Kai pulled me close to him, gripped my chin and forced his lips down onto mine. My eyes snapped open wide and I immediately tried to back up but his arm was wrapped securely around my waist, immobilizing me. Luckily, he stopped a moment after and looked down at me, frowning.

"What is it?" He asked, suddenly suspicious due to my lack of response. I stayed silent for a bit too long as I tried to think of what to say and his eyes narrowed. "What's happened between you and Adam?"

I stammered as I tried to think of something. I wanted to tell him but I didn't know how to word it. "I-I..."

People began to pile into the classroom behind us and I glanced towards the door, hoping to alert Kai that there wasn't enough time to explain. 

He seemed to realise because his eyes returned to the original shape and he grinned at me, sending shivers down my legs. "Tell me after class." He said and then twisted on his heel and stomped down the corridor, pushing people out of the way as he did so, creating annoyed irritated looks from the other students.