Chapter 22 - Like a Chicken with No Head

I'm literally only uploading this because my friend hates cliffhangers and he wanted me to upload tonight. I'm sorry if I have loads of mistakes and if it's not very long... but it's his fault ;)

------------------------------------------------

It took me a moment to process what Kai was going on about. My fingers clasped my phone but my eyes were fixed on Adam, who was staring back at me in confusion, probably wondering why I'd look so worried when talking on the phone.

He couldn't hear what Kai was saying.

To be honest, neither could I.

I'd completely zoned out.

"...Might be in danger so I need you to come with me. I'm coming over now."

I shook my head out of it and opened and closed my mouth like a fish. What the hell was he talking about? Why was he so desperate to suddenly see me?

What danger?

I was finally able to unlodge my voice from my throat as I swallowed and blinked, finally breaking eye contact with Adam. "Um...I don't understand. Why are you coming to get me?"

I felt awkward asking such a question when, clearly, Kai was in a hurry. I could hear him slamming doors and turning on his car engine, shouting at people to move out of the way as he began driving. 

"Look, I'll explain when I pick you up. Just be ready in five."

The phone went dead and I pulled away from my ear, shock sliding across my face.

"What was that all about?" Adam asked quietly as he switched the TV off. 

The simple movement had me rushing round like a chicken with no head as I scrambled to get myself ready. "I dont know but Kai is picking me up in five minutes. It sounds important." I slid my gloves onto my hands as I pulled my handbag together so that I didn't have to carry my college bag with me. I could vaguely see Adam getting off the bed but I didn't stop scurrying around until he placed his hands on my arms.

"What exactly did he say?" He asked as I breathed out, trying to focus.

"Um...something about needing to get me...being in danger..."

Adam's eyes widened and he pushed me towards the bathroom. "Hurry up then. I'll follow you out,"

I stopped in mid-stride and looked at him curiously. "You're not coming?"

"Megan, though I'm curious as to what Kai is on about, I dont think he'd appreciate me tagging along. Anyway, I'm sure you'll be safe with Kai. Here." He grabbed my phone and I watched as he punched in numbers. "You have my number if anything goes wrong. Now, hurry up. I'll wait downstairs." He passed me my phone back and then left the room before I even had a chance to think.

Snapping out of it, I pushed myself forwards and wondered what to take with me. Kai hadn't given me much information so I had no idea whether to arm myself or not. I was probably going overboard with the protective thoughts but I wanted to be safe. Whatever was happening was definitely stressing Kai out and a stressed out Kai probably didn't mean anything good.

After a minute, I pushed my hand through my hair, ignoring my scruffy looking face, and almost tumbled down the stairs in my haste to reach the bottom. I automatically moved into the kitchen, pushing past Adam, and grabbed one of the knives from the kitchen counter. It wasn't very big but I could keep it in my bag in case I needed it.

I doubted it though.

The whole situation seemed too unreal to be true. I mean, what kind of normal person got involved in things like this?