27

27

Luke picked me up the following morning for SPG, despite neither of us wanting to go. Ryan suggested he go because he saw his father outside of prison for the first time in a while and he should talk about it.

And since Luke was going, of course I was going too.

We were the two last people of the group to show up today, which doesn't happen often.

Chloe was sitting in the circle, talking to Katy as Mr. Hayes waited patiently for Luke and I to get in and comfortable. I sat next to Chloe and Luke on my other side, closest to Ed.

"Good morning, everyone," Mr. Hayes greeted. My peers grumbled their replies while I just smiled.

It irks the others that he is such a morning person, but it doesn't bother me much. Jaycee would always say my mom was a big morning person. The characteristic reminded me of her.

"How has everyone's week gone since we last talked? Who wants to start?"

Everyone looked at Luke and I. I wonder if they were at the basketball game earlier to see the scene we somewhat caused and that's why they were all staring at us expectantly.

Luke rose his hand. Mr. Hayes nodded for him to continue.

"I went to the basketball game last night with some friends. Everything was going fine, I was actually enjoying myself, until my dad came up and sat with us."

"I thought your dad wasn't a part of your life," Oliver noted.

"He's not," Luke said sharply. I put my hand on top of his in hopes to get him to calm down. "He was released from prison earlier this past week and found out I was going to the game, I guess. He showed up there uninvited."

Our peers looked shocked to say the least. They weren't expecting that out of Luke. He is more of a keep to himself and listen to everyone else character.

Change is good though.

"How did you handle it?" Jillian asked softly. "I don't even know what I would do if my dad showed up out of no where."

"We left the gym and I kept my cool," he noted for Mr. Hayes's sake. He is his anger management therapist after all. "My friend's dad and family friend both came out to check on us and brought security, forcing him to leave."

"How did you feel afterwards?" Mr. Hayes asked.

"I don't even know," he admitted. I never asked Luke how he was feeling after seeing his dad. I just kind of assumed he didn't feel too great. Who would? "I felt disgusted that he is the man that was supposed to be my role model in life, I guess. I wanted to be as far away from him as possible, all the while wanting to pound him in the face."

"All of which are understandable emotions," Mr. Hayes confirmed.

Luke shrugged, casting his gaze downward.

"Bobbi, anything?"

I didn't want to say I ran into the man responsible for my mom's death because I didn't know if Luke wanted anyone to connect the dots that his dad and the drunk driver that killed my mom is the same person.

Luke seemed to read my mind as he looked at me and nodded, squeezing my hand encouragingly.

"He's not me," he reminded me in a whisper.

That much was proven a long, long time ago though.

"I also ran into the drunk driver that is responsible for my mother's death last night," I murmured. As predicted, they all looked around in confusion. I could practically see the gears working in their minds.