26

26

"Thanks, Luke," I tell him as he parks his car in an open spot. It was rather far from the athletic entrance where the basketball game was being held. That meant inside there'd be a boat load of people.

The anxiety was already pushing up against my chest at the mere thought.

Luke put his hand over mine, shooting me a smile that made developing anxiety seem to vanish.

"You don't have to keep thanking me for coming to a school basketball game."

I've thanked him about ten times since I asked him about it yesterday during school. School sanctioned events aren't particularly his forte, nor are they mine, but I agreed to go for Chloe's sake.

"I love you, Bobbi."

"I love you, too," I said back softly. He kissed my lips gently before getting out of the car, I followed his actions.

Inside the gym, there was a ton of people. The bleachers on both sides of the gym were pulled out for seating, both almost completely filled up.

The student section had a few open spots, but I wasn't up for it. This is my first high school sporting event and that seems like a big step for someone with level ten anxiety like myself.

Luke led the way up the parents section of the bleachers into an open spot where we wouldn't be too claustrophobic around everyone.

Riley and Chloe joined us minutes later, ascending the bleachers hand-in-hand.

Oh, I so knew it.

Luke nor I chose to comment on it though.

For another day.

"Where's Amanda?" Luke asked them as they sat down. Riley said he would pick her up on the way to the game.

"Student section," Chloe answered. "She wanted to say hi to a couple of her friends then she will join us."

As if on cue, Amanda came walking over across the bleachers, worming her way around the several parents.

"Are your parents here?" I asked her.

"Dad is, so is Matt. He figured since he was in town he could take a little vacation hour to watch Jordan." She motioned to Jackson and Matt a few rows down, watching Jordan warmup.

That made me feel a little better.

The game began about ten minutes later. I know the bare minimum about basketball — the ball goes in the net for a point. My knowledge basically starts and ends there. I only cheered when everyone else did since I had hardly any idea what was going on.

Jordan had the ball and went to shoot before he was pummeled into by a behemoth. He stood up while rubbing his tailbone.

"How is that allowed?" I leaned over and asked Luke. He seemed to understand basketball a lot more than I did. He and Riley have been making comments the whole game that exceeded my realm of understanding.

Luke just shrugged. "It's jus a foul." 

Ouch. If I were that referee, I would've thrown the behemoth out of the game.

Jordan was allowed to shoot twice with no one guarding him, Riley called it a free throw.

Basketball is confusing.

Other than the confusion brought on by the sport, everything was going off without a hitch.

No one has confronted us to trigger my anxiety, we were winning the game, and I felt like a normal high school student for once.