Moving In

Michael was five when the vacant house across from his became occupied. He remembered the day well. He woke to the sounds of creaking metal and the groaning of large trucks. He jumped out of his big boy bed, his hair flopping down in front of his eyes. With small kid hands he pushed the strands out of his face and made his way to the window overlooking the street. He pulled over a chair and climbed on top of it. Being only five years of age, he wasn't the tallest little kid around. With a small grunt he hoisted himself up and stood on his toes to look out the window which was still I little bit too high.

Peeking over the edge of the sill he saw two large trucks and several people unloading various pieces of furniture and and boxes. One of them, a woman, was gesturing wildly, pointing in different directions to where things should be placed. Then, Michael spotted a boy. A boy his age standing in the middle of the yard as people hustled and bustled around him. He was playing with something that Michael couldn't see. He looked to be about Michael's age, this excited him. Another boy on the street his age! Most everyone around here were old people and teenagers. They weren't fun. Nobody wanted to play with him, but if this new boy could become his friend he would have someone to ride bikes with, to play hide and seek, tag, to run around with. He ran downstairs.

"Momma!" He shouted at the top of his lungs once he reached the bottom of the stairs.

"Jesus Michael I'm right here Hun. What are you doing up?" A tall woman appeared wearing neutral colored clothes, a small smile on her face as she picked up her five year old son.

"There's there are.. People.. Next door." He said a bit breathlessly. He had run down the stairs and for someone as small as him there were a lot of stairs. His mother laughs and nods her head.

"Yes someone is finally moving into that house." She replies walking toward the kid then window so they can peer out it. They watched for a bit before Michael tugged on his mothers hair lightly.

"But momma there's a boy out there. A boy my age. I wanna meet him can we meet 'em?" He begged his bottom lip pushing itself out in a pout.

"'Course we can. Let's get you changed first, you don't want to go out there like that. Do ya?" Michael looked down at his pajamas wide eyed and shook his head. With a laugh they headed back upstairs and while his mother dressed him Michael complained the whole time saying.

"Hurry momma! What of they decide... Decide not to live there and.. And move away." To which his mother would shake her head and laugh.

"They just got here Michael." She pointed out, but Michael wasn't convinced. He had to make sure they were staying there so he could have someone to play with. Hand in hand Michael and his mother walked over. The boy was still standing out there, in the middle of the yard. He was playing with what looked like a Gameboy.

"Momma that boy has a Gameboy. I want one." Michael reminded his mother.

"Well maybe he'll let you play with his." his mother replied with a smile. Michael pursed his lips and didn't answer. He could see what the boy looked like now. He had blonde hair that hung too low in his eyes like Michael's and he was wearing a plain black shirt and blue jeans. Michael looked down at his favorite Pokemon t-shirt and felt self-conscious. What if this boy didn't like Pokemon. Then what would he do? Not be friends with him? He wanted a friend so badly. Maybe it wouldn't matter if he didn't like Pokemon. No, Michael decided. It definitely mattered if this boy liked Pokemon or not. "Hello there!" Michael's mother called out. The blonde woman glances up and smiles.

"Hi." She says a bit tiredly.

"Karen Clifford and this is my son Michael." His mother says sticking out a hand and drawing her son closer to her. Michael sighs. He just wants to go talk to the boy.