Living Arrangements

Hau gripped Sun's hand tighter as they entered the hospital, he had explained to his friend about what happened to his grandfather on their way to the hospital and Sun was almost as anxious as Hau was. The man led them down the hall and into an office, the boys sat down while the man sat at the desk. 

"Hau, I'm happy to say that your Grandfather will make a recovery," the man informed, Hau's grip on Sun's hand loosened slightly at the man's statement. "However, he will need to be kept here for an extended period of time. It would seem that being the Kahuna at such an old age has been an immense strain on him physically." Hau grip on Sun returned. The man sighed before returning, "we believe he is no longer capable to acting as your legal guardian." Neither Sun nor Hau could believe their ears. Hau started tearing up as he heard the man, first his parents abandon him and now his Grandfather is too ill to take care of him.

"But what will happen to Hau?" Sun asked, "he doesn't have any other family."

"He will have to be placed in a foster home until he is of age to live by himself," the man replied, "unfortunately there aren't any available foster homes on Melemele. He will have to move to another island." That was Hau's breaking point, he began wailing, he couldn't leave, he couldn't imagine a world without Sun or Lillie or his Grandfather, he didn't want to live without them, he needed them. The boy cried into Sun's chest as he gripped the boy tightly, he wasn't letting go, he wasn't leaving Sun.

"He can't leave Melemele!" Sun shouted, anger and frustration laced in his voice, "there has to be another option."

"Usually we would do anything we can to keep him in the same area but we just simply don't have that option at the moment," the man apologised.

"Then my family will adopt him!" Sun announced, "we'll take care of him until he's old enough to live by himself."

"Sun, there's a lot of paperwork and legal documents that go into something like that," the man explained, "and it's not up to you, it's up to your legal guardian."

"Then get those papers out so we can start," Sun's mum ordered as she walked into the office. 

"Mum?" Sun asked confused as she walked in a took a seat.

"What? you don't think I would be notified if my two boys were taken to the hospital?" she asked with a smirk, she turned to the man behind the desk. "I know the legal side of adoption and the hassles that come with it and I'm going to go through with it. There is no way I'm letting Hau be taken away to another island away from his friends." Hau's crying reduced to a sob as he looked up and smiled and Sun's mum, she smiled warmly at him and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Why don't the two of you start moving Hau's stuff into the house? I'll have these legal documents wrapped up in no time." Sun nodded before leading Hau out of the room.

"These should be the last two boxes," Sun announced as he lifted up a cardboard box.

"Yep," Hau agreed, "let's get them into the trolley!" Hau turned to head for the door, as he did however the box tilted off balance and fell to the floor, spilling packages of diapers onto the floor. Hau freaked out and tried getting all the packets back into the box before Sun could see.

"What's wrong?" Sun asked, turning around. Hau placed himself in front of the box so that Sun couldn't see what was in it. Unfortunately for him half a packet was still visible. "Dia..." Sun read the three letters that he could see. "What's that?" Hau panicked inside, he didn't know what to do, Sun had realised his secret, he needed to make something up quick.

"Um...It's...Diamond!" Hau shouted. "Yeah, Diamond. They're pillows I ordered from the Sinnoh Region, I haven't opened them yet." Hau chuckled nervously. Sun seemed to buy it and continued walking out the door, Hau sighed before making sure the box was properly closed and following him. Once Hau placed his box in the large trolley he and Sun walked up to the Tauros connected to the trolley. Without hesitation Sun jumped up and mounted the pokemon.

"Coming Hau?" Sun asked as he extended his hand. 

"I'm not sure," Hau replied, "do you even know how to ride that thing?"

"What kind of dumb question is that?" Sun asked. "Of course I know how to ride it." Sun gave a reassuring smile as Hau grabbed his hand was pulled up onto the pokemon. "Make sure to hold on tight."

"Wait," Hau responded, "What do you mean by...?"

"Take it away Tauros!" Sun shouted before the pokemon took off in a full sprint. Hau screamed for his life as he bear-hugged Sun as tight as he could. Sun cheered in excitement as they travelled down the path. 

"I am never riding Tauros with you again!" Hau informed as wobbled on the ground.

"Come on, it was fun!" Sun beamed.

"I nearly shit myself!" Hau shouted. That wasn't true, he actually did shit himself, but he certainly wasn't tell Sun that. "Let's just get the boxes inside."

"Sure thing," Sun agreed before picking up one of the boxes. "You'll have to share a room with me, but I don't see that being a problem."

"Will all my stuff fit in your room?" Hau asked. 

"Sure it will," Sun assured him. After getting all the boxes inside Sun and Hau entered Sun's room to set up Hau's mattress. "Don't be in any rush to unpack anything, mum still hasn't finished unpacking all the boxes from when we moved here."

"But that was like, seven years ago!" Hau informed, seriously confused.

"I know," Sun smiled, "she really doesn't like to unpack."Hau chuckled before sitting down on the bed, Sun soon sat next to him and placed a hand on his shoulder. "It's going to be ok, they said that Hala was going to be alright. You don't need to worry."

"I should have looked around the house more before heading out," Hau admitted, "he was there for over an hour, I'm a horrible grandson."

"What? No way!" Sun disagreed, "Hala loves you with all his heart and is super proud of you!" Hau didn't reply, he just looked down at his hands. "It's true, he's always talking about you and how he wouldn't except anyone else to become Kahuna after him."

"Is that true?" Hau asked, looking up at Sun. The boy smiled warmly.

"You bet it is," Sun informed. "Now come on, think of this as a really long sleep over, and what do we do first thing when you come over for a sleep over?" 

"Eat Malasadas," Hau replied.

"That's right," Sun cheered, "so let's go and get our Malasada on!"

"Sun," Hau grabbed the boy's hand as he was getting up, Sun turned to face his best friend. "Thank you."