Chapter 26 - Aren't you a clever girl

Start from the beginning

She gasped at the messy, urgent words that had been written in what appeared to be red lipstick.

'Help me.'

....

"Get it together, would ya," Rex said through gritted teeth, before sipping his coffee. "Tears draw attention."

Evie rubbed her sweaty palms against her jeans; she was so overwhelmed with emotion that she kept welling up. Rex had been true to his word and gotten her out of that house, but she was far from being free. The only reason they had even stopped at the diner was that Rex claimed to be 'starving'. She thought about yelling for help, about screaming the diner down, but fear of what would happen stopped her. Rex had made it clear that he would kill her if she tried anything like that.

"That waitress knew something was wrong," he announced, his hazel eyes staring at her over his mug. "Let's hope for your sake, she thought we were having a lovers' quarrel."

She adjusted the scarf covering her bruises. "Aren't we?"

He laughed at her sarcasm. "Kitten, you crack me up." Placing his mug on the table, he leaned forward. "By the way, I forgot to mention, your new name is Catherine."

"Catherine? As in.. Cat, Kitten?"

"Well, aren't you a clever girl?" Rex grinned.

Evie blew on her coffee before taking a sip. She had never been much of a coffee drinker, but the brown liquid tasted like heaven. She was finally drinking something of her choosing, rather than whatever Branton allowed her.

Rex pointed to her mug. "Your hands are shaking."

She put the mug down and tucked her hands under the table.

"No need to be nervous, cupcake. I've got everything figured out." He took another quick sip of his coffee. "Devon."

"Devon?" She asked.

"Yep. An old mate of mine owns a farmhouse and has offered to sell it to me," he gloated. "There's goats and chickens too."

"Do you know anything about running a farm?"

"Nope, but I'm a fast learner."

His deluded happily ever after had her involuntarily glancing towards the door. His eyes followed her like a hawk. "Uh uh, careful or you'll hurt my feelings."

She bowed her head.

"That's better." He smirked. "Now, I'm going to have a smoke. I'll be right there where I can see you," he said, pointing outside the diner, past the glass windows.

"Now, I'm sure I don't need to tell you, but I will anyway." He leaned forward, the gun tucked into the front of his belt sticking out slightly. "Try anything and I'll kill you.. oh, and everyone here."

She blinked in shock. This was the first time he'd threatened the lives of other people.

"You wouldn't want to be responsible for the deaths of all these good people now, would you?"

As if on cue, two young children ran past their table laughing and shoving each other playfully. He smiled as his eyes followed them. "Adorable, aren't they?"

Without waiting for an answer, he slid out of the booth and stepped outside, his eyes never leaving her.

Her eyes began to water again as his threat lingered on her mind; if she tried to run he would kill everyone here. She glanced around as her shaking hands fiddled with her newly chopped locks.

How many people would die?

A sudden thud caused her to jump and clutch her heart.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you," Staci apologised, having placed their breakfast on the table.

Evie released a short, awkward laugh and waved her hand dismissively. "It's ok, I'm renown for being jumpy."

Staci eyed her as Evie's shaking hands picked up her fork and pushed around her eggs.

"Thank you," Evie said politely.

As Staci set up Rex's cutlery she turned her head towards Evie and whispered a few words. Without waiting for a response, she left to tend to another customer.

As Rex approached the table Evie's heart was beating out of her chest. He stopped to eye Staci who was taking the order of an older gentleman. He turned his head back to face her, his eyes narrowed suspiciously. "What did she say to you?"

'The police are on their way.'

"Just asked if we would like more coffee," She answered.

"You know I don't like lies, Kit-"

The sound of the diner's bell drew both of their attention towards the noise. Evie's mouth parted; the sight of the two policemen conjuring up hope and despair alike.

"Fuck," Rex muttered as he pulled out his gun.

Noticing Rex's weapon, the officers pulled out their own. "Drop your weapon!" The older of the two yelled.

The diner was suddenly launched into chaos as it filled with the deafening sounds of gunshots and screams. Evie flew under the table and pressed her hand against the wound on her shoulder. Her stomach flipped as blood seeped through her fingers, staining them red. Across from her, a woman was hiding under a table cradling a small baby against her chest. Evie could see people ducking for cover while others dashed for the exit.

Her eyes scanned the room but there was no sign of Rex. Since shots were still being fired, he had to be somewhere in the diner.

"Everyone, stay down," The younger officer commanded. Evie watched as he signalled his colleague before advancing past her hiding spot and heading towards the kitchen. Not long after disappearing out of her line of sight, she heard the loud bang of a gunshot. The people in the diner let out a unified sound of fear as yet another shot was fired.

The wailing sound of sirens outside signalled backup but did nothing to soothe her terror.

Would he come back for her?

Would he try and kill everyone here, just like he promised?