Chapter Ten: The Preliminaries..!!

The Preliminaries..!!

***

     "S-Sakura..." Sasuke muttered under his breath. He failed. He failed to protect his teammates, his friends... he was afraid, terrified. Was he deserving to be called an Uchiha? To have a part of a powerful and strong blood line?

He couldn't even sacrifice himself for Sakura just what like Naruto did.

"Sasuke?"

The ravenette titled his head and saw Naruto--who was currently getting up--all bruised up and tired. The sun-kissed male placed a hand over his stomach, wincing in pain as he called out again. "Teme! Oi!"

Sasuke's blood turned cold. Seeing his comrade at that state was horrifying, and even if the blond wouldn't confess, the Uchiha knew that Naruto likes Sakura romantically. What would be his reaction upon knowing that the girl he admires just got kidnapped?

Slowly and sloppily, Naruto walked to his friend, glancing around the surroundings before frowning. "Where's Sakura-chan?"

"Naruto," Sasuke gulped before looking straight at the blond's wondering, cerulean eyes. "She was taken away."

His short statement came out like a bomb for Naruto. Even with eyes closed, the ravenette heard his incredulous gasp, and he felt him walking quickly to approach him.

Sasuke expected to get punched, and he deserves it in all honesty. He was such a scaredy-cat, he acted lowly--he was to blame.

Even so, no fist came in contact with his face. Instead, a hand gripped tightly onto his shirt, making him open up his onyx orbs. He was greeted by Naruto's serious face, he wasn't speaking but his eyes was flaring in anger and his fist was shaking. He was awfully mad.

"You promised me you'd protect her, Sasuke," Naruto said. "and even if you didn't, it's our responsibility! She's our responsibility, bastard, now where is she?!" He raised his voice in frustration, making Sasuke's eyes widen a fraction--but not because of that.

Sasuke felt the sadness, the worry, and the sorrow lacing on the sun-kissed blond's tone. He was close to tears.

Maybe he was wrong--Naruto didn't like her. He loved her.

***

The two were quiet. Sasuke didn't receive any blame from the Uzumaki, he was simply walking along.

     "Do you know which direction they went to?" Naruto suddenly spoke up and despite his undetailed question, the ravenette knew that he was referring to Sakura.

     "I couldn't follow. He was fast, he disappeared the moment I blinked my eyes." was his reluctant response.

     The blond didn't show his reaction but deep inside his heart was thumping hard in both anxiety and nervousness. He was worried. What was Orochimaru's deal anyway? Why was he here and why did he only attack team seven?

"We should head to the next location for the third phase." He said, pointing to the left direction. Despite gathering zero scrolls, if they still can make it out alive, then they can still participate. The two headed there, but it's just too late. There were no more clues, tracks or anything. However, they saw Gaara's team fighting against another team and probably completed the scrolls.

"We're running out of time. We need to get to the next center by morning, and it's already getting dark." Sasuke mentioned. "Just a little more and perhaps we can get the scrolls."